Radar Avoidance Problems

Hey guys. Were having a problem with radar avoidance on one of our ap’s. Its a P10 board 5.2 Running 9.0 in a cluster . The other 2 AP’s are P9 running 9.0 . They dont have the avoidance built in so we have no problems with them. We doubt its a true radar problem ( the BH is a P400 5.4 , no radar avoidance events EVER on this link). We have even tried forcing the P400 to stay in the 5600-5760 range to avoid stepping on the AP but no avail. Its becoming quite frustrating to us and to our customers. Short of finding another P9 ap and swapping them is there anything that could be done?

Change the region code on the AP to other.

what he said ^

change the ap region code to other rather than U.S.

Just did that…now theres nothing on the front page about DFS…hmmmmm this might just work. Thanks guys well see how this works.

You’re welcome. I hope it resolves your issue and saves you some $$. :slight_smile:

Well . It made it through the night clean .I think its safe to say that fixed it because this was happening every other hour. I had never thought about setting the region code to other, because when you boot a brand new AP up to program it states "you must set a valid region code or be killed " .

Thanks for the tip.

I can’t recall with absolute certainty, but when they (the FCC) released the 5.4 spectrum and put the DFS limitations on it, did they not also make DFS a requirement on all newly 5.2/5.3 manufactured as well (older gear being grandfathered in)? This would make you in violation if you are located in the US. Just a heads up.

One other thing - I know they had a “schedule whitening” feature in the firmware that was supposed to help prevent false DFS shutdowns from neighboring APs. Is this something you have already tried as well?

wifiguy wrote:
I can't recall with absolute certainty, but when they (the FCC) released the 5.4 spectrum and put the DFS limitations on it, did they not also make DFS a requirement on all newly 5.2/5.3 manufactured as well (older gear being grandfathered in)? This would make you in violation if you are located in the US. Just a heads up.

One other thing - I know they had a "schedule whitening" feature in the firmware that was supposed to help prevent false DFS shutdowns from neighboring APs. Is this something you have already tried as well?

Didnt try the Whitening yet. But were not concerned about it interfering because, the 5.4 P400 BH has never ever, not even once, shut down due to radar. if that does happen in the future we may re-evaluate.

Your backhaul is 5.4GHz and your AP cluster is at 5.2GHz if I am reading correctly, yes?

You’re dealing with different bands there. The BH shouldn’t be stepping on the APs and vice versa so I don’t think that is where the problem was coming from. I can however see how a newer AP would have problems in a cluster with older APs because the new AP was designed with DFS requirements while the old ones were not. It’s probably seeing the other APs and thinking “uh oh, I sense radar, I need to shut down” which is where the whitening would come into play. You’d have to look through the Canopy manual but I know they talked about this. There are a few settings that need to be set to keep your APs in the cluster from shutting each other down.