Random Reboots or Re-regs

I installed a pair of 12.0.3.1 SMs last week and had an issue when aligning them that they were rebooting randomly in Alignment Mode. Yesterday a co-worker said he was load testing a unit and had an issue where the radio wouldn’t reboot, but was re-registering to the ap when he was forcing hi-def video across it. I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues. The SMs are 12.0.3.1 but the APs are 12.0.3. I don’t know if that would cause an issue.

Did you find what was the root cause of the problem?

We’ve adjusted the Control slots and that seems to have stabilized our test SM’s. I have to say that we really only noticed the issue of re-regs int he 5.4 band. The 5.7 band seems to hold pretty stable even when I’m pumping 20 Mb through the units.

We are having the same issue with random re-reg, despite having a great signal (-63dbm, SNR 35/23 in 6X/6X). Even log showed a NiBuff error, and Cambium’s response was to upgrade to 12.1.

I’m still leery of 12.1 based upon what I’ve heard about it, and it doesn’t seem to be affecting the other 200+ customers we have on 12.0.3.1.

Under the radio page, we enabled VC in Q to see if that resolves the problem before we update to 12.1.

What negative things have you heard about 12.1?

FVI wrote:
What negative things have you heard about 12.1?

You mean besides FSB 9044 (AP sticking in 5MHz channel) http://forum.cambiumnetworks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8540 and the fact that 12.1 was pulled from the website briefly a couple weeks ago?

We have never enabled the perform spec analysis upon boot feature, so I figured it to be a non-issue for us.
I didn’t know they removed 12.1 from the download section. In fact I had to accidentally read a post on this forum before I knew 12.1 was available.
Do you get some sort of newsletter or update when a new release is available?
It’s a pitty they wont support an older release, it’s a time consuming job to upgrade the whole network.

FVI wrote:
We have never enabled the perform spec analysis upon boot feature, so I figured it to be a non-issue for us.
I didn't know they removed 12.1 from the download section. In fact I had to accidentally read a post on this forum before I knew 12.1 was available.
Do you get some sort of newsletter or update when a new release is available?
It's a pitty they wont support an older release, it's a time consuming job to upgrade the whole network.

Yes, I am subscribed to the AFMUG mailing list (http://www.afmug.com/) in addition to trolling the Cambium products page at least twice a week looking to see if anything new shows up.

I went ahead and did a limited upgrade to 12.1 involving one AP and one SM (the one I posted about), so we'll see if that solves the issue.

FVI,

You can follow us on Twitter for software release and Field Service Bulletin’s. See https://twitter.com/pmp_support

We are also on Facebook and LinkedIn, but we do understand some people do not like social media like Twitter, Facebook, etc… and are looking at other avenues as some people like to receive emails in place of social media.

Thanks for the feedback.

Turns out I’m still having some issues on other towers. Not every tower, but some are just giving me all kinds of head aches.

1. Those of you that still see the re-reg issue, what spectrum are you seeing it in? I’m having these issues in 5.4.

2. I upgraded a couple of my APs to 12.1 with no issue. I have noticed that one of my customers that was giving me grief last week has settled down since the upgrade and seems to only register once a day if that.

It’s highly recommended to upgrade to R12.1.2 as soon as possible. If you’re still having re-registration issues after that, a support ticket is warranted.

We have made many improvements in this are in the last few releases, and believe we have solved many of these issues. Let us know how we’re doing…