Remote Monitoring using server 2003

I am attempting to set up Server 2003 to use it for remote monitoring of several Canopy service areas.

I plan to start with dude and PRTG, will probably be adding PRIZM shortly.

I have PPTP access to the remote clusters, works fine from my workstation, now I want to start setting up the server.

Problem I am running into is setting up VPN on the server, the out of the box MS solution is to set up their VPN server software, however that is rapidly turning into a nightmare. I can probably overcome this however I am not sure it will actually accomplish what I want to do.

I need to establish multiple PPTP connections to the remote clusters to allow the server packages to gather data. I also need to provide remote access to the server to the service technicians so they can tune in and check for problems.

Rather than messing around with the MS VPN stuff it seems to me that what I need is a VPN client package that will run on Server 2003 OS to do the data collection part, and then use MS remote access to let the tech’s come into a dedicated port number for each of the monitoring services.

Can anyone suggest a VPN client package that will work with Server 2003, or if I have my head where the sun never shines, can someone tell me what approach should I be looking at?

I have considered putting a router of some kind into the system, perhaps a MikroTik and use it to set up VPN connectivity to the remote clusters, thinking that I could then connect the server to the router. Have never attempted that in the past, not sure it would work.

Perhaps I should not be using the Server 2003 machine, MS seems to have a lot of restrictions about how many things you can be doing with it at one time. Perhaps I need to switch to an XP or Linux box for the monitoring platform.

Any advice appreciated

jayr

JayClark wrote:
I am attempting to set up Server 2003 to use it for remote monitoring of several Canopy service areas.
I plan to start with dude and PRTG, will probably be adding PRIZM shortly.

Hi Jay
I'm currently happy with PRTG. monitoring ~600 devices. I avoided Prizm and now that 9.5 adds some features (PPPoE, SM to AP authentication), I believe that I made the right choice ;-)

JayClark wrote:
Can anyone suggest a VPN client package that will work with Server 2003

Windows 2003 server has the capability to act as PPTP server or client (e.g. to establish a permanent vpn connection between servers, using RAS), but it's not actually very easy to configure.

JayClark wrote:
I have considered putting a router of some kind into the system, perhaps a MikroTik and use it to set up VPN connectivity to the remote clusters, thinking that I could then connect the server to the router. Have never attempted that in the past, not sure it would work.

I agree with this solution.
Building a VPN connection with Mikrotik is quite easy and very stable. You can set any routing rule and reach your remote sites.
Feel free to ask for any tips on configurations.

JayClark wrote:
Perhaps I should not be using the Server 2003 machine, MS seems to have a lot of restrictions about how many things you can be doing with it at one time. Perhaps I need to switch to an XP or Linux box for the monitoring platform.

Using PRTG on a win 2003 server is great.
You can access to your board via web from anywhere (even using a PDA or smartphone).
PRTG will run as a service and it is very stable.

Ciao
Massimo

Do you use the freeware version of PRTG or a paid version?

What specifically are you monitoring through PRTG?

Custcomp