Router for WISP

We are starting our WISP and are needing some recommendations for a router. We will have a T1(s) and are going to offer Internet and VOIP to our customers. We’re also not sure what we will need to connect the T1(s) to the router. Thanks for any suggestions.

We Currently use imagestream routers

www.imagestream.com

We use both Cisco and 3Com routers for T1 connections – using the optional internal DSU/CSUs – but use cheap D-Link SOHO routers for most other links inside our network.

whis one is bigger?

a T1 connection or an E1…

we are using CISCO 2600 … and Canopy products for Wireless services…

any suggestion for US… i’m glad to see your suggestion

A T1 is 1.544 Mbps, an E1 is 2.048 Mbps.

an E1 is what you call a T1 in Europe. In North America a T1 is 1.544Mbps and in Europe an E1 is 2.048 Mbps.

E1’s arent just in Europe. We have E1’s between South America and the US.

attitude0330 wrote:
an E1 is what you call a T1 in Europe. In North America a T1 is 1.544Mbps and in Europe an E1 is 2.048 Mbps.

In North America, the 4Khz wide telephone channel is standard. In Europe, the 3Khz channel is standard. Back in the analog carrier days, this meant that the basic group in FDM carrier system had 12 channels (channel bank) in North America and 16 in Europe in the same bandwidth. When T1 was developed here they could put 24 channels over copper pairs at 1.544Mbps. Since this was the equivalent of 2 analog channels banks the standard developed that way, to make cross connecting analog and digital channels easier to do. i.e. you needed 2 analog channel banks to carry the traffic from 1 T1 system.

The same reasoning was used in Europe, but their basic analog channel bank had 16 3Khz channels, they made their basic system 2 analog channel banks as well, but they had 32 channels instead of 24 in their analog systems. Since they wanted to maintain the same 2:1 ratio for easier provisioning, as had been done in North America, and they increased the bandwith of digital channels to 4Khz, they ended up with a system that had a bit higher data rate than North America for their basic digital channel bank. Sample rates are the same 8Khz (required to sample 4Khz signal). This gives 8Khz * 8 (bits of sampling)=64kbps/chan * 32 chan =2048 Mbps.

The E BTW is usually taken to mean Equivalent, since the European system is the Equivalent of the North American T1. It has a higher data rate because there a more channels in the system.

Nothing to do with Canopy really but I thought some might be interested :lol:
Teknix wrote:
A T1 is 1.544 Mbps, an E1 is 2.048 Mbps.

bro teknix, we are using E1 :)

brod teknix, do u have your email add ?
Bugtoy wrote:
We are starting our WISP and are needing some recommendations for a router. We will have a T1(s) and are going to offer Internet and VOIP to our customers. We're also not sure what we will need to connect the T1(s) to the router. Thanks for any suggestions.

brother,

i dont have much knowledge bout WISP.. im just refering to teknix.. hehe.

we are using CISCO router actually and CANOPY products for Wireless device