Routers for Customer Installs

I would just like to for better or worse, picking everyones collective brains here.

I’m currently re-selling Linksys E1000 routers to my clients that want wireless routers for their homes, I’ve sold many various different forms of linksys routers over the years. They have been quite reliable for the most part (wrt54g v6’s aside)

However the issue i’m running into is just plain cost. The routers keep getting more and more expensive. I’ve tried to source them from different places, but at my current cost, they are just too expensive to be useful for my customers.

So what I’m asking is. What sort of routers do you as Wisp’s sell to your customers?
I’m looking for something that’s reliable, works well and is affordable. I know that’s like having my cake and eating it too. But I’d rather not purchase a whole bunch of different routers to learn which ones are junk and what ones are not.

Thanks everyone

-Wayne

Hi BajaMnstr,

we use wlan routers from D-Link (DIOR-300) and Logilink (wl008) for ~20€, installation is easy and can be done by the cust himself.

greets

ju-dsl

"installation is easy and can be done by the cust himself."

I wish I had your customers. :slight_smile:

Personally I’d like to get out of the router business and let customers purchase their own, but the company is not ready to make that choice yet. We use every low end brand on the market and spend alot of time replacing routers.

We try to use better routers that don’t constantly fail.
However the majority of our customer base lacks the ability, or the impetus to install one themselves.
It’s just the law of averages, so we set them up for our customers. Even if they supply their own.

We are starting to use Buffalo’s WHR-HP-G300N. Its very stable and handles large customer sites very well so far. The cost is very reasonable from what I’ve experienced.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wir … -hp-g300n/

jmaysww wrote:
"installation is easy and can be done by the cust himself."

I wish I had your customers. :)

Personally I'd like to get out of the router business and let customers purchase their own, but the company is not ready to make that choice yet. We use every low end brand on the market and spend alot of time replacing routers.

Its really very easy,

the Dlink dir 300 is preconfigured as DHCP client on the WAN port, so the cust has to put the RJ45 jack from the Motorola Power supply in the WAN port and thats it!

PPPOE is done in the Canopy module.

in about 3 Years now, we only exchanged 2 Dlinks so far, and we have ~200 custs.

greetings

ju-dsl

We use recertified Linksys WRT54GS2 v1 routers (~$25 each) with DD-WRT “micro” firmware installed (www.dd-wrt.com). We also use any other router (usually Linksys) that is inexpensive and can take DD-WRT. The routers are configured with static IP settings (or DCHP or PPPoE, etc.) and you can even enable a weekly automatic reboot of the router. We get very few customer calls per month for router-related issues.

You can now buy recertified Linksys E1000’s for ~$30/each. Also, DD-WRT.com now has available firmware for those too. Just login to the router, and upload the DD-WRT firmware like you would normally upgrade using Linksys firmware. The DD-WRT firmware is much more stable, has many more features and is very reliable. Turns a $30 router into a $500 firewall!

Have you looked at MTIK routers. These are cheap and reliable.

http://routerboard.com/RB751U-2HnD

In Canada
http://www.xagyl.com/store/search.php?m … rch&page=1