School me on PMP450

Hey gang,

My employer is looking at rolling out the PMP450 very soon, we’ve got our distributor interested as well as a few sister companies. We have a webinar/conf call lined up with a CSE this week but I’d like to see what you guys have to say about the platform.

We like Canopy. PMP320 seems like a half-assed platform hacked together to get a piece of the pie, and will eventually work after beating it into submission. The vibe I’m getting from PMP450 is that it’s much more like the Canopy platform with regard to how it’s been developed and my expectations are similar. Based on the amount of “UPGRADE RIGHT NOW” critical FSBs posted on here I can tell it’s not yet a mature platform. That said, most of the issues appear to be pretty typical and seem to be fixed fast enough through software updates… nothing like “bad run of chips, 9,000,000 SMs bricked”.

So what do you guys have to say? Like it? Recommend it? Any handling tips? Is it like taming a lion or Canopy 2.0?

Thanks

Since the latest firmware update (12.2.2), the 450 platform has been fairly reliable. Not quite to the 100 FSK platform, but pretty close. I know for a while there, my name was pretty much a four lettered word around Cambium’s tech support offices but they listened and eventually were able to identify and fix the problems.

I don’t have any experience with the 320 platform, so my only knowledge of it comes from the horror stories I read here and on the AF mailing list.

Overall, I’d say the 450 is like Canopy 2.0 provided that you remember the differences. Things like getting installers to remember to look at vertical and horizontal signal path clearances and that the signal levels in the 450 don’t mean the same thing as they do in the 100 SMs.

Excellent. That’s the exactly the sort of thing I was hoping and expecting to hear. I’m sure for a while my name garnered a similar response while we were rolling out the PMP320 and Wireless Manager (I too have a few bugs filed - yet less than 100 SMs)

The MIMO aspect certainly looks intriguing. I’m very excited that the 2.4 GHz uses +45 and -45, isolating it further from the existing 2.4 GHz stuff. We had our senior tech in on the presentation and I could see a few lights going off. We can’t wait to play with it.

AF… I think I was on that list a while back. Left because 1000 new posts a day with a pile of off-topic was getting really old. Or maybe that was a Motorola Canopy Users list. That was years ago, so maybe it’s changed… whichever it was.

Thanks again!

salad wrote:
Excellent. That's the exactly the sort of thing I was hoping and expecting to hear. I'm sure for a while my name garnered a similar response while we were rolling out the PMP320 and Wireless Manager (I too have a few bugs filed - yet less than 100 SMs)

The MIMO aspect certainly looks intriguing. I'm very excited that the 2.4 GHz uses +45 and -45, isolating it further from the existing 2.4 GHz stuff. We had our senior tech in on the presentation and I could see a few lights going off. We can't wait to play with it.

AF... I think I was on that list a while back. Left because 1000 new posts a day with a pile of off-topic was getting really old. Or maybe that was a Motorola Canopy Users list. That was years ago, so maybe it's changed... whichever it was.

Thanks again!

The list hasn't changed a bit...

PMP 450 3.65 should be coming out soon. They have updated the PMP 450 docs to include 3.65 information. This is great news to me. I’ve been quite pleased with PMP 320 performance and penetration. Software, on the other hand…

As for the PMP 450 2.4 stuff, I’ve been curious about that myself. How has that been performing? We have not really deployed even PMP 100 2.4 before. I’ve heard that it can be a pain. Our scenario is mostly rural with some small towns. Is 2.4 recommended if we could just as easily use 3.65?

smwtech wrote:
The list hasn't changed a bit...

So much for that idea, then!

Plainsnet wrote:
PMP 450 3.65 should be coming out soon. They have updated the PMP 450 docs to include 3.65 information. This is great news to me. I've been quite pleased with PMP 320 performance and penetration. Software, on the other hand....

Interesting. I take it you deployed the PMP320 far away from any other ISP? Up here everybody bought into the "quasi-licensed band with no interference" thing at the same time. We found out very quickly that the PMP320 does NOT like interference AT ALL. Subtle cues like the signal looks sorta okay but the SM web interface completely stops working. Compared to our other platforms we've found penetration to be inferior to 2.4 GHz products. It behaves much more like 5.8 GHz in our experience. This could be because we're operating in an environment with other ISPs instead of in a vacuum. In theory 3.65 GHz should be better.

Plainsnet wrote:
As for the PMP 450 2.4 stuff, I've been curious about that myself. How has that been performing? We have not really deployed even PMP 100 2.4 before. I've heard that it can be a pain. Our scenario is mostly rural with some small towns. Is 2.4 recommended if we could just as easily use 3.65?

We just got our first 2.4 PMP450 stuff up last week for testing a single client. So far very happy with it. RF wise it appears to be as reliable as the PMP 100 gear but with modern data rates.

As for 2.4 vs 3.65... if it was PMP 450 vs PMP 320 I'd say 450 all the way. We'll have to wait and see what 3.65 PMP 450 brings us. Given everything else being equal I'd avoid 2.4 GHz just to get away from the mess of devices in the home on that band.
Interesting. I take it you deployed the PMP320 far away from any other ISP? Up here everybody bought into the "quasi-licensed band with no interference" thing at the same time. We found out very quickly that the PMP320 does NOT like interference AT ALL. Subtle cues like the signal looks sorta okay but the SM web interface completely stops working.

That's concerning. We haven't yet experienced interference I don't think. I've heard that sometimes web interface issues can be solved by fiddling with the target uplink power level? We do have about 3 other ISPs here, including Rhino Communications, which if I understand it right is part of JAB Broadband, which is apparently "the nation's largest fixed wireless service provider." They just arrived not too long ago in the area, having just acquired one of our competitors. If anyone puts 3.65 up it will likely be them. I haven't had much contact with them so I don't yet know how easy they will be to work with. They do use Cambium, though.

Ehhhh sort of. There’re a few settings that effect upstream performance, both the target RSSI and the backoff, the latter increasing the CINR requirement for upgrading modulations. The funny thing about the PMP320 is that DS signal will be impacted very obviously by typical issues like LOS, but upstream is QAM64 3/4 or higher almost always.

Anyway it’s a little off topic for this forum, I think we’ve got a few threads like this over in the PMP320 section. If you like post up a new thread there and I’d be happy to share my experiences and answer whatever questions.