Should i 'uncheck' unused freq's on sm?

Should i ‘uncheck’ unused freq’s on sm?

if my AP is set up to use the freq 915 should all SM’s have only 915 selected?

Its good to leave those checked unless there is another WISP close enough for the SM’s to pick it up. That way if you ever need to change the freq. on the ap you don’t have to go back and change it on all the SM’s

I agree with nucoles, in the past we unchecked all the frequencies that were uneeded expcept for the AP that we wanted the customer to connect to.

This presented two problems, most of our customers can see more than one AP, so if the primary fails, the secondary will pick up in it’s place.

And if we ever needed to change frequencies because of self or outside interference we had to change all the SM’s beforehand, and inevitably would miss a few because the customer had there power off.

We do have some customers that can see multiple AP’s of ous on Multiple Towers, and in those very limited situations we do turn off all but one so they do not flap back and forth.

–SDH

You can assign a color code to each individual AP and leave all of your frequencies checked. This way, the SM’s will not roam but if you need to change the frequency of an AP, all the SM’s regiestered to it will follow.

We currently remove all frequencies in the SM but the one we want it to register with but plan to implement the above method soon.

this really doesnt do anything. it doesnt decrease the amount of interference the radio hears. it doesnt give you better link tests. about the only thing it does is shorten the register time. given the opportunity, leave these open. you will save your self a lot of trouble later on

We had to uncheck the other freqs to keep the SMs from bouncing from one AP to another. When a SM starts switching from one AP to another, the customer complains about intermittend problems.

another way to do it would be too set the ap’s to different color codes so you could force it to a certain ap.

nucoles wrote:
another way to do it would be too set the ap's to different color codes so you could force it to a certain ap.

Sounds like a pain in the butt to me, you would have to plug in a color code during the setup and run an ap eval, then switch the color code in order to run the ap eval on a different ap and then possibly have to do it again. And we all know every time you make a change in the sm, it wants a reboot, so this slows down the install process. I would rather run one color code for the site, run an ap eval, and lock it down to the best one. But that is just my preference.
jjs70 wrote:
Sounds like a pain in the butt to me, you would have to plug in a color code during the setup and run an ap eval, then switch the color code in order to run the ap eval on a different ap and then possibly have to do it again. And we all know every time you make a change in the sm, it wants a reboot, so this slows down the install process. I would rather run one color code for the site, run an ap eval, and lock it down to the best one. But that is just my preference.

Actually all color codes show up in an AP eval - you only have to set one once you are ready to connect and trim up a link. We do this all the time and it works great.

I do not believe that turning unused frequencies off will do anything for interference. AFAIK it just disables scanning on that freq - since the receiver is open to the whole 900 MHz band any channels that it is not using just become noise. You can buy those hardware band-pass filters to do this, though...

Yes all color codes do show up in ap eval and you do not have to enter a color in the first place to do an ap eval.