Signaling Rate

If you configure a radio to:

Sustained Uplink Data Rate 800
Sustained Downlink Data Rate 800
Uplink Burst Allocation 800
Downlink Burst Allocation 800

And you set the 2x to Enable would the customer be getting 1600K or 800K?

yes, this is how we configure - sustained and burst the same.

Even with 2x it will still be 800.

Not to change the subject, but I had the above customer get a virus. This particular link is Fed like this:

10M BH—10BH—10BH—10BH—900AP—Customer

I had a customer that is located between the to 10M hops on a seperate 900 AP that called and said that the service is running sloooow. I looked and my ping times from my 10M BH ---- 10M BH was running in the 150 to 200 and loosing packets. I then began tracing back and narrowed it to this one customer. I disabled the ethernet port on the customers SM and had my customer that complained about speeds run a speed test and he began seeing 1.7M, whereas before he was getting 400K. So how can a customer with a limit of 800K bog my network down that much? Has anyone else seen this type of behavior before?

What does everyone else do to “Combat” virus/spyware/malware issues?

J

How much bandwidth do you have? we have a small brilan($500.00) that we use on customers that try and run servers, limewire, file sharing or just eatup with spyware. If they are really bad I will limit their upload to 64k until they stop. It seems that if you just limit the upload the download will take care of it’s self.

At this location I have a 6M Internet Pipe. How much bandwidth can you actually push through a 10M Back Haul. I know the specs say 7M Aggegrate, but what are real world numbers? What if a customer is pushing a constant 3M wont that link suffer greatly?

That is a good question it seems funny they call it a 10 meg back haul. At 80% down I get 5.4 to 5.8 meg down upload at about 1.5 meg, on our 20 meg backhaul at 75% down I get around 8.5 to 9.6 meg down and 3 meg up. I guess they didn’t want to call them 5 and 10 meg backhauls

what happens is that the offender starts sending out ethernet chatter and the other radios start answering. So, an 800k flood of spew quickly escalates until you run out of bandwidth.

I just turn the port off and call the customer and let them know they have a virus. Here is where you can make a few bucks by offering to remove the virsues. I charge them 150 bucks plus software if needed.

You can minimize this by enabling the filters in the SM
- PPoE
- SMB
- BootP Server
- BootP Client
- IPv4 Multicast

Another level of security that we are going to start implementing is VLAN with every SM on it’s own VLAN - this will keep the other SM’s from responding to chatter and make it easier to identify an infected PC.

We also require end users to use a cheap broadband router, as they will generally lock up when hit with spew keeping it off our network.

Jerry by using these setting will it prevent the use any service’s like gaming,voip or vlan.
You can minimize this by enabling the filters in the SM
- PPoE
- SMB
- BootP Server
- BootP Client
- IPv4 Multicast

So with that being said how is this possible? I had user call and say hey my service is slow. I had him run some speed tests and he was getting anywhere from 200K to 500K. I shut the ethernet port down on the guy with the virus whos radio is capped off at 800K. Now the guy can get speeds at 1.8K+ when I have a 10MBH connected to a 6M internet pipe?

So if we have 6M total and user1 is getting 2M shouldn’t everyone else get 4M in theory? If so why did this 800K bring me to a crawl?

It’s about network performance. The guy with the infected machine is hammering the network with traffic so the guy trying to get to Yahoo is suffering because his packets can’t get through.

You have an Autobahn, but there is a traffic jam at the onramp.