Site survey from AP?

How can I check the signal strength of other ePMP APs without disabling the AP? I would like to empirically verify that my F/B ratios are behaving as intended, but I cannot seem to find a way to check the received strength of the signals from other APs.

[One feature I really like with the UBNT products is the ability to run "site survey" scan from an active AP. This shows WiFi and airMax radios running on the same channel width. I like to do this to check self-interference between active APs running the same channel width.]

- Chris

1 Like

@uberdome wrote:

How can I check the signal strength of other ePMP APs without disabling the AP? I would like to empirically verify that my F/B ratios are behaving as intended, but I cannot seem to find a way to check the received strength of the signals from other APs.

[One feature I really like with the UBNT products is the ability to run "site survey" scan from an active AP. This shows WiFi and airMax radios running on the same channel width. I like to do this to check self-interference between active APs running the same channel width.]

- Chris

Chris, 

You can run eDetect to scan the channel for other APs/interferers. Note that eDetect will only detect energy on the channel at which the AP is operating on. It runs during the Tx portion of the TDD frame and therefore be able to detect back APs even though they are synchronized and doing frequency reuse. 

eDetect runs without disabling the AP.

Thanks,

Sriram

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

...Note that eDetect will only detect energy on the channel at which the AP is operating on. It runs during the Tx portion of the TDD frame and therefore be able to detect back APs even though they are synchronized and doing frequency reuse. 

This is only helpful when identifying APs on the same frequency. I'd like to know what the signal is from all APs at a location. Such information can be used to determine channel spacing, antenna performance, antenna choice, etc.

Knowing the signal strength from other APs can be especially useful for flexible-frame mode (non-GPS sync). 

The usefulness of a 'site survey' tool such as Ubiquiti's would be incredibly useful on ePMP, even if it stops the AP transmiting while it runs (like it does on UBNT).

Currently without turning and AP into a Wifi SM and then going to monitor -> wireless there is no way to accomplish somethig similar on ePMP.  The spectrum analyzer works fine, but like switching the radio mode, impacts service for some time.

YES PLEASE.

1. Non-impacting site-survey across selected bands

2. IP locator so we can find the configured IP of a radio that was not labeled

3. Remote site surveys off SMs for all channels in a selected band

Strongly suggest your designers buy a UBNT radio and see how they do it.