[size=18][color=red][b]CNUT, can cnut be run remotely

CNUT, can cnut be run remotely from Redhat server :?:

schavez wrote:
CNUT, can cnut be run remotely from Redhat server :?:

Yes, with X forwarding (over SSH perhaps?), or for a bit more flexibility, VNC. That's how I do it.

I'm using Debian, though.

X11 forwarding through SSH works great for me.

From my *nix workstaion I SSH to my BAM server (use the -X flag) and issue the CNUT command (networkupdater). Up she comes.

Over fast-ethernet I don’t notice a performance difference, I’ve done it remotely from my laptiop several times and although it worked just as flawlessly, the performance was not quite as hot.

The reason I use VNC: doesn’t matter where I am or what OS I’m using, I can get to CNUT. :slight_smile:

Shaman666 wrote:
The reason I use VNC: doesn't matter where I am or what OS I'm using, I can get to CNUT. :)

That does make sence. OTOH, I don't mind being limited to an OS that runs X in enchange for no additional setup.
That does make sence. OTOH, I don't mind being limited to an OS that runs X in enchange for no additional setup.

First-time setup involves:

# vncserver
Password:
Retype:
#

Voila, you are now running a VNC Server that will provide you with a 1024x768 X environment encapsulated in a VNC session. Provides you a terminal too. Just fire up CNUT, arrange the window to your linking, load the network, etc. and voila... instant connection to CNUT at any time.

You can adjust the size of the X environment as well, if you prefer.

cool. May have to give it look… in my spare time (whenever that will be)