SM 500 900Mhz, Adjust the DBm level?

Hey guys. I have a link that is starting to degrade a bit. Will adjusting the radio power level help this? I have it set to 24 Dbm. If so, which way should i adjust?

Thanks.

Max EIRP = 4W = 36dB…

What is your antenna gain? Lets figure it is 10dB if you are using the integrated antenna…

36dB - 10dB = 26dB

You set your power level in the radio to 26dB…

Lets say you are using an 18dB antenna…

36dB - 18dB = 18dB…

You set your level to 18dB in the radio.

Its the one with the integrated antenna. I am not sure of the gain, tho. How can i find out? Thanks for the help.

ummmm . . .

turn it up to 28, is the short answer . . .

ok ill try it. thanks

Integrated radios come with the 10dB antenna…

36 - 10 = 26dB on the setting…

36 - 28 = 8dB… 8dB + 36dB = 44dB = 25W EIRP…

How about no?

28 doesn’t do anything. the max rf output is 26dB. EIRP = 26dB + antenna gain less connectors. In the case of the Integrated, you can run them at 26dB and comply.

However it should be noted that the problem may not be transmit level from the SM to the AP, but rather received level at the SM. This is where the Yagis make up the difference, by reducing off-axis noise, and increasing both the Rx and Tx gain for the SM transceiver.

Log into the AP and look at the sessions page and not note the dB level for the SM in question. Next look at the SM status page and note the dB level. You want both ends to be at least 3dB higher (6dB is really the minimum margin you want) than the noise floor or the low threshold of the receiver (it’s in the specs).

Perform a link test and see if the efficiency is poor on uplink, or downlink.

poor uplink = low or poor quality RF level at the AP
poor downlink = low or poor quality RF level at the SM

Sometimes it’s as simple as elevating the SM to get a little better look at the AP.