SM can't register to the right one...

my problem is when i try to get my sm installed, but it keep connect
on 2457.5mhz even if the signal is better on the 2435.0mhz (-67 vs -75).
we only leave the 2435.0 frequency, and it still scanning instead of registring … we perform spect analyse and no frequency is disturbing us.
this is an example of another customer having the same problem:

Current entry index: 1

Index: 0 Frequency: 2435.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-23-40-c7
Jitter: 4 RSSI: 840 Power Level: -67 Beacon Count: 28 BRcvW: 1 DFS: 0 FEC: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 56644 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 2 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1290 SectorID: 1 Color Code: 211 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 51
Frequency: 24350 NumULHalfSlots: 17 NumDLHalfSlots: 52 NumULContSlots: 3

Index: 1 Frequency: 2457.5 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-23-36-4d
Jitter: 4 RSSI: 619 Power Level: -75 Beacon Count: 32 BRcvW: 1 DFS: 0 FEC: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 56693 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 1 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1076 SectorID: 3 Color Code: 211 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 42
Frequency: 24575 NumULHalfSlots: 17 NumDLHalfSlots: 52 NumULContSlots: 3

for this customer it is not too bad because the signal is not too bad for offering internet acces, but my concerne is about an other one. The first AP signal is good and the second AP signal is not good enough to register
but the SM still try to connect on the second one. and on the first one the regfail goes up.

any one have any clues? need precision? sorry for any “what?” sentances…i’m french

i forget to say that i already try to change the sm, i only have those 2 customer on my network who make this error and it was working well before…just append after icerain but the signal is good and there are apprx at 10miles from the AP

maybe your AP is configured to have a longer distance than your right AP, in that case, check if there are REG FAIL in your right AP.

For example:

Right AP - 8miles
Wrong AP - 12miles.

So it chooses to register at the wrong AP. Just my guess as one of reasons.

in fact both AP are in the same tower, same configuration both set at 15miles max but yes one of those give me regfail

Hey!

You need to pick a unique color code for each AP (and all the Subscriber Modules associated to that AP) or you’ll get customers ‘on the line’ between two APs having the problem you describe.

actually not really

we have many customer how see many APs on the same color code without any problem.

we have 6 AP on the same color code (360) and few more color code with less AP.

newcastle wrote:
Hey!

You need to pick a unique color code for each AP (and all the Subscriber Modules associated to that AP) or you'll get customers 'on the line' between two APs having the problem you describe.

FWIW we use the same color code for each cluster and/or omni on our towers and do not have reg issues.

mrxime's problem is odd, and short of rebooting the AP I am still trying to figure out why he only has 2 locations that fail to register to the AP with the best signal since it appears that he has things configured correctly.

rebooting did not do anything exept gettin customers mad :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe it and ice problem, but why the powerdbm is good, jitter is good rssi is good and it didn’t connect…?

we’ll see this summer i guess…

Hey!

"FWIW we use the same color code for each cluster and/or omni on our towers and do not have reg issues."

Y’all need to ask around, in my opinion, but maybe I’m wrong.

Obviously an omni has one color code, but if you’re running it near a cluster of another frequency type on the same tower the point is moot; one frequency won’t see another, even if the color code is the same.

If you’re saying that you have one frequency range (5.7 or 2.4 or 900 or whatever) on ALL your towers, and ALL those AP have the same color code, my mind is officially blown. Good job.

I think running the same color code on all AP in the same frequency band on the same tower is problematic, much less network wide, though I could stand being corrected if the majority disagree.

The problems arise when, for whatever weird reason, the SM favors an AP other than the one you know it should want to connect with. If you have a unique color code per AP, the SM has no choice in the matter.

xxoo

Sorry for the hijack. :oops:

We use a specific color code for each tower in the multiple cities that we offer service to.

Tower A = color code 1
Tower B = color code 2
etc.

All AP’s have 20MHz spacing and spectrum analyzer is run in order to find the best frequencies on the tower. We will rarely uncheck all but the main AP frequency under the SM’s Custom Radio Frequency Scan Selection List, and I cannot recall having a problem (knock on wood) with SM’s failing to register to the AP with the best power/jitter (mrxime’s issue). However if the AP that the SM is connected to should develop an issue then the SM is most likely going to register on the adjacent SM. The SM retains internet access so the customer stays happy, I can still remote manage, and once the AP is back up a simple SM reboot brings it back to square 1. We have a total of 14 towers and will place equipment on 2 more within the next month, and so far this method has worked out well for us.