SM Crashes When Plugging Antenna In after Electrical Storm

We have a connectorized 900mhz canopy SM. After a electrical storm last week with many power outages lasting at the most 30 seconds, the router appeared not to be able to see the the SM. So we bypassed the router and hooked the SM directly the computer, which worked for a while, so we throught the router got fried. I should mention that the router still worked fine, allowing two devices on my network (my PC and the XBox) to communicate. The Internet port just didn’t see that SM was sending packets.

After a couple of hours with the SM connected directly to the computer, the SM crashed and we couldn’t access it at 192.168.5.1. Power cycling it didn’t help either. Then we disconnected the antenna from the SM and took the SM in the house, hooked it up to the computer, and powered it on. After it booted up, it was fine! We could access its web page and all was well (except it couldn’t access the AP since it had no antenna).

Then we took it back on roof, powered it up without the antenna plugged in and it appeared to boot up correctly. Then we plugged the antenna in and it crashed just like before.

The crazy thing is this morning we tried it just for the heck of it, and it works! I am waiting for it to crash again just like yesterday.

I went through the event logs and found three instances of the following error:

00:17:41 UT : 01/01/01 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/utils.c : Line 2293 FatalError()

The entire event reads as follows:

00:00:00 UT : 01/01/01 : File root.c : Line 945 Software Version : CANOPY 7.2.9 Jul 23 2005 01:49:03 SM-DES
00:00:00 UT : 01/01/01 : File root.c : Line 949 Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
00:00:00 UT : 01/01/01 : File root.c : Line 955 FPGA Version : 070605
00:00:00 UT : 01/01/01 : File root.c : Line 959 FPGA Features : DES Sched
00:17:41 UT : 01/01/01 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/utils.c : Line 2293 FatalError()
00:00:00 UT : 01/01/01 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/syslog.c : Line 1062 Time set
00:00:00 UT : 01/01/01 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/syslog.c : Line 918 System Reset Exception – External Hard Reset WatchDog

Would a power surge cause this problem? Before the storm our internet access has been pretty flaky - the router appears to crash (we can’t ping it) or the SM crashes (the router can’t see the SM). We have to power cycle the SM and/or the router, or even reset the router to get everything working again. This sometimes happens multiple times in a day.

Could the SM have been having problems all along? We took the SM apart yesterday and examined it, and the board looks fine.

My husband is ready to throw the SM off the roof. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

That’s some strange behavior.

The first thing to try is to log into the SM and write down all the settings. Then do a factory reset, reload the Operating Software and reprogram the SM. It’s possible the OS got corrupted.

Next is a new power supply - they can get flaky after a surge/spike/brownout.

Next is a new router to make as it’s possible yours has a marginal WAN ethernet port.

Next is a new SM cause that’s the only thing left…

I have had that very same thing happed to 3- 2.4 sm units, Did the factory reset, replaced the power supply,down graded to a different version then back to 7.3 end solution. I had to replace the units

(personally, I’d start by checking the wire run at the residence)

Also, a power surge on an unprotected line will genrally fry the ethernet port of whatever it’s plugged into. I’d guess that’s why the internet port on the router won’t work.

:roll: