Sm not Working & again Started working

We had an SM-2400 which stopped working abruptly & stopped registering.

When the same was earlier registered , it was giving power level of 70-71 dbm & RSSI > 650-850.

Since it failed abruptly , we replaced with another SM that we had in stock & found that the same also did not work & we had to do some horizontal alignment to get the link up.

In doing so we got power level of upto 65 dbm & RSSI going to 1000.

After doing alignment we again put back the original SM back & the link came up with lower power levels of 70-71 dbm & RSSI of 800.

I was just wondering that why should an SM show differrent power levels , when mounted in same position.Is there any thing that we can do on the original SM to give better power & RSSI…?

The SM is at 9 miles & with a reflector at that end.

are you using the moto reflector? We have some at 13 miles with Rssi 1100 jitter 2 pwr level of 62

But about three times a year for no reason in the evening it will stop working this will go one for about 4 days. Then works flawlessly till the next time.

Yes . We do use Moto reflector.In this particular case , we improved upon the signal strength & powel levels by changing an Sm. So was wondering how a Hardware change can result in such improvements ? & that what makes one SM perform better than other…? :slight_smile:

The weak one was built on Friday afternoon just before quiting time. No not really I’ve noticed the same thing. I used to test our units out of the box and use the strongest ones for our longest links. You will find some that are noticably stronger than others

ok. I feel Moto should be easily able to classify them in some way, so on field we save time & money, If what we have concluded is true. :slight_smile:

Well, Honestly I’m sure there is a base where they are required to be this strong. anything more than that is free! If you want to test and see which one’s are a little over test if not… then don’t

The link has gone down again.looks like this is going to be a puzzle for some time to come.

I have our longest sites set for continous ping from our server this seem to help

how are you testing to see which ones are strong…

we hardly get anything more then 9 miles… how you guys getting 13miles…

yes. 9 miles is a Max. to aim as safe practice. with only 1 reflector at SM end.Anything further will need some more inputs from people like Jerry.

With what he has put in his postings about Training of Canopy AP & SM to come to proper stable link,Which I came to know, only from his postings.

this is one of our longest

LUID: 016 : MAC: 0a-00-3e-23- State: IN SESSION (Encrypt Active)
Site Name : customers name router mode 172.18.8.79
Software Version : CANOPY 7.3.6 Oct 24 2005 12:06:56
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version : 070605 (DES Sched) P9
Session Timeout: 0, AirDelay 1367 (approximately 12.69 miles (66983 feet))
Session Count: 0, Reg Count 0, Re-Reg Count 0
RSSI (Avg/Last): 892/905 Jitter (Avg/Last): 3/3 Power Level (Avg/Last): -65/-64
DnRate(SM): 2500 DnLimit(SM): 1000 UpRate(SM): 128 UpLimit(SM): 1000 (kbit)
LoUpCIR(SM): 0 LoDnCIR(SM): 0 (kbps)
Rate : VC 32 Rate 1X/1X

we managed a 14 mile link once… but that has been the only one over 10 miles…

we have 4 that are almost 11 miles. The noise floor around 5700 is pretty low so a -78dB link is acceptable.

I guess it really comes gown to your noise floor and the elevation of your AP’s

yes. This elevation & noice floor r the key component.

But still wondering .Why on same elevation at the AP & for same directonal settings for an SM , another SM should report lesser power levels .

Lots of possible causes:

Multipath present at one SM and not at another.
One is close to a local source of interference
One is close to a Satellite Dish
One has a slightly different fresnel clearance

etc etc

In this case. We have replaced an SM.No Alignment etc was done & the signal strength was differrent.

But what u have mentioned is perfectly true.

I feel this multipath thing could be an issue.As this LOS passes through
around 200 / 300 mtrs above water in a total of 9 miles.And water level rise/fall in river could be causing such behaviour.