SM signal sensitivity loss?

Hello folks. I am down to the last 2 900 SMs in box before I order another round. I tried both of these out today at 4.3 miles. NLOS, but mostly over farmland with few trees. Using 8.1.5.1 software on AP and SM. Also using Maxrad panel antennas (9db).

Anyway, I could not get any kind of usable signal. I tried on top of the house, and about 30ft up on their TV antenna tower. I actually moved down the tower a foot or two and got a better signal, but still not good. I know higher is supposed to be better, but it did nothing in this case.

I have tried both of these out several times before - they just don’t seem to pick up signal as well as all the others…

Now I know I should try a different and more powerful antenna. With the maxrad I was getting -87 to -90 at best.

Any ideas? Would a reset to default of the SM help anything?

One more thing - I am NOT running any of my SMs at 2x. Should I disable this feature on my APs?

are you adjusting your output power according to the antenna you’re using?

No, not at all. Didn’t know I was supposed to do that. Its on 26db default.

Well, I take that back, I have “levelized” all of my SMs, as documented somewhere in this forum.

But this particular SM, I have not adjusted.

its wise to run a spectrum analyzer in these scenarios to see if there is any interference.

the max db of output power & antenna db should equal 36.

so 9db for the antenna & your output power should be 27 to meet fcc requirements.

if there is no interference i’d recommend a yagi antenna since you’re using connectorized equipment. we use & have had good luck with M2 17db purchased from CTi (http://www.cticonnect.com)

we mainly use integrated 900 units @ 12db & reserve the yagi’s for far distances & dense foliage.

you could just disable 2x on the AP instead of all your sm’s if you dont want to run it. although 2x is much better imo