SM switching to 2x/1x when set to 2x mode?

When I view registered sms through the session status tab (all sms are set to 2x enabled software 9.4.2) yet I see several units that display 2x/1x.

Does this mean the link quality is poor and the radio is compensating for this?

Can I lock an sm into 2x only mode and what potential ill affects might this have?

lastly, when these radios are in 2x/1x mode are they chewing up more air time and affecting the performance of the other sms on the ap?

Your insight is greatly appreciated as I work to get up to speed on Canopy equipment.

2x only works with strong signal. if the 2x link test is below 80% then it should be on 1x only

moinavery wrote:
2x only works with strong signal. if the 2x link test is below 80% then it should be on 1x only

Not exactly.
The amount of noise and multipath must be low enough to allow the receiver in the 6-dB less sensitive (2X) state to maintain a high carrier-to-interference (C/I) ratio.

But there is still another one point:

The flexibility of this feature is as follows:
◦ At the time of registration, signaling is at the 1X rate. However, if the above requirements are all met, then the SM switches to 2X.
◦ Thereafter, whenever RF conditions are unfavorable for 2X operation, the SM switches to 1X. When favorable RF conditions allow, the SM switches back to
2X, if user data is present at that time.
◦ Similarly, whenever no user data is present, the SM switches to 1X. When user data flow resumes, the SM switches back to 2X, if RF conditions allow.
◦ Both links for the SM (uplink and downlink) are independent for this feature. (One can be operating at 2X operation while the other is operating at 1X.)
◦ Other SMs in the sector can be communicating with the AP at the other modulation rate.

And keep in mind:
Unlike in 1X operation, efficiencies below 90% on the Link Capacity Test tab in the Tools web page of the SM do not necessarily indicate a poor quality link. Efficiency of 45% in 2X operation is equivalent to efficiency of 90% in 1X. If you read efficiency between 45% and 90%, check the status of 2X operation (as described below) to confirm that the link is operating at 2X.

and
◦ 2X/2X indicates that the SM-to-AP link is in 2X operation.
2X/1X indicates that the SM is capable of 2X operation but the SM-to-AP link is in 1X operation. This can be for either of the following reasons:
− The SM has not sent data on the channel yet.
− The received signal does not support 2X operation.

◦ 1X/1X indicates that the SM is capable of only 1X operation. This can be for either of the following reasons:
− The SM does not support 2X operation (SM is of the hardware series P7 or P8).
− The 2X Rate parameter is disabled in the General tab of the Configuration page in the SM.

so, with the newest firmware, does it hurt to leave all SMs with 1x/2x dynamic rate adapt set instead of using only 1x?

I had one sm that was modulting back and forth constantly, it was a marginal link. Everytime it modulates there is a latency spike, which is VERY notable with VOIP. Locking it down to 1x mitigated the the severity of the issue.

The whole 50% of 2x is better than 90% at 1x is utter garbage in any venue other than theory. The reality is is that you will modulate more, you will have higher bit errors, you will destabilize the sector. If you cant get 90% in 2x, you lock that radio down to 1x, then you can sell the reliability at that rate as opposed to the “speeds up to”