sm to act as a backhaul for short term

hello all

we have a new tower going up and we want to use one of our existing towers to feed the new tower with a sm rather than a backhaul.

has anyone tried this?

it would be for a shourt term only till we get our backhaul relay working.

yes it can be done you are better off if the ap and sm feeding the second tower are advantabe for the higher threwput. One thing to consider too is that with a set of bh’s with reflectors you have 18db gain on both ends. you dont put a reflector on a ap because it would only cover 6 deg instead of 60. so if the second site is within range you will probably be ok. If it is 15 to 20 miles out you probably wont have good luck. remember also if that ap is serving other customers already and its downlink % is like 75 your uplink from the other site will be low. Thats why i suggest advantage.

attitude0330 wrote:
One thing to consider too is that with a set of bh's with reflectors you have 18db gain on both ends. you dont put a reflector on a ap because it would only cover 6 deg instead of 60.

And it would likely be over powered (by FCC standards anyway)...

We have been using an SM/AP for tower to tower linking for several years and it works fine since we have been running a single T1.

We are negotiating for 10-20MB at which point we will have to go to BH20’s.

I have one site with 8 SM’s on it right now running off an AP at anther site (this AP has 12 other SM’s on it). All is running fine. We are onitoring bandwidth to that site and we are nowhere near needing to put in BH’s for it yet (maybe just to improve latency).

Aaron

do i understand you right you are using 8 sm’s to feed 1 site. If so wouldn’t it be more cost effective to switch to a bh.

Ummm… nope. You are reading wrong. I have one SM acting as the link to the network for one AP - this AP has 8 SM’s registered on it.

~ BH -wired- AP ~wireless~ SM -wired- AP ~wireless~ 8 SM’s

What Motorola calls a “Remote AP”.

Aaron

How far apart can you install these “remote AP’s”? 15-20 miles?

You can put them as far away as you can get an SM to work reliably. The one I am talking about is 9.22 miles from the AP. The only thing to worry about at these distances is the reliability of that SM feeding an AP.

Aaron

ok here is the scoop

everything worked fine for the ap cluster when i plugged in the gear to the cmm with one sm feeding the cmm micro when i did not have a gps hooked up and all on software scheduling.

i lost connectivity as soon as i hooked up the gps on the new tower and changed to hardware sched.

i think it is the sm that is on the tower is now reciving sync from the tower it is on’s gps and not the one it is getting the signal from.

is there a way to get all of the aps on the new tower to sync with the gps on the new tower and still pass the sync from the tower we are getting the feed from.

in the docs it says that you can connect the timming port from i am assuming the sm to the cmm and not use the gps is this hardware or software scheduling and if it is i do not want to do this i want hardware scheduling.

thanks for the interest…

don’t fully understand your environment but if you want to connect 2 towers together, get an SM and point it at one tower, get a second SM and point it at the second tower, plug both SM into a switch.

Have a distance of about 1 mile from the towers to avoid self interference

Hardware scheduling is to do with the Advantage platform.

Hope this helps.