Snmp oid for name of the AP an SM is registered to

I can see the name of the AP easily on the dashboard of the SM but I have not been able to find an SNMP oid to pull this value. I have found the value to get the ap’s MAC address but not yet the name of the AP. Anyone have any pointers?

@kelmore wrote:
I can see the name of the AP easily on the dashboard of the SM but I have not been able to find an SNMP oid to pull this value. I have found the value to get the ap's MAC address but not yet the name of the AP. Anyone have any pointers?

kelmore,

You are correct the AP's MAC address is in SNMP as "registeredToAp" OID. However, the Site Name of the AP is not available on the SM's SNMP interface. Sorry about this, we try to make almost everything available in both interfaces. But somethings like this are added to the web for convenience and then not added to SNMP.

Did you have a major use for it in SNMP? If so, what? 

We have a very diverse network of devices, and to standardize monitoring we are using Zabbix to poll devices with services like SNMP. We do also use Maestro for monitoring, but would like to have Zabbix working as well.

The problem we are facing with Zabbix is how to filter on a group of SMs connected to a certain AP. This is easy to do with gear that has an SSID, so we just filter on that. With the PMP platform though, it's more tricky since grouping SMs by AP can only be done with Color Code, Sector ID, or AP Mac Address. CC isn't unique enough, and Sector ID/Mac Address still require a secondary lookup.

If we could poll the SM for name of the AP, then we could filter in Zabbix easily by the common name of our AP. Since we name our APs as "site-azimuth" then we can also filter by site easily. 

Thanks for considering this a feature request. I've just created one actually, please vote!
http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/Get-name-of-Registered-AP-from-an-SM-via-SNMP-request/idi-p/88195

Kevin

1 Like

Hi,

We have a extense PMP430 network and we can get the name of the AP and the SM that are connected and had been connected by snmp commands. We get the name of the AP and also we get the session status list table. I don't know if it may help you with PMP450, but perhaps you could try.

All the snmp information is from AP, we don't ask SM equipments for the information

.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0; nodename

.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.7.18.0; maxRegSMCount - usefull for read the next table

TABLE

.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.4.1.33.x; linkSiteName from .2 until maxRegSMCount

Hope it helps you

Might it be possible to have a new SNMP oid added for the next firmware release?
Here is a feature request:
http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/Get-name-of-Registered-AP-from-an-SM-via-SNMP-request/idi-p/88195

1 Like