SNMP - Storing Strings

For each SM there is a MIB (1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.8) called “radioDbm” that records signal strength (eg “-76”). Unfortunately it is a String, and the SNMP program we use (SNMPc) does not all the parsing of a String to an int so we can graph it, nor does it allow this value to be tabulated and archived.

Does anyone know how this can be done??? We would really like to track this figure in potentially unstable areas.

Also, there is another MIB (1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.21) called “radioDbmInt” that is the same as above but stored as an int. Unfortunately, the SM’s do not seem to return a value for this. We are using Firmware 7.0.7 at the moment and maybe it was only implemented in 7.1? Has anyone been able to return a value for this MIB?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

bronco wrote:

Does anyone know how this can be done??? We would really like to track this figure in potentially unstable areas. Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Take a look at Overtime for Canopy at:
http://www.continental-wireless-solutio ... ndex.shtml

Overtime reports RSSI as a numeric and/or as a dBm reading, it parses out the dBm value and graphs it. This is done in the default setup at installation time by an xml template. Overtime can also be used to extract any text string that expresses a numeric automaticly.

Overtime for Canopy also solves the SM realignment in the LUID sequence at the AP. It tracks the sm's by MAC address, and if the LUID sequence changes, will connect the graphs for all SM's by MAC rather than LUID.

NETic offers a free trial for Overtime for Canopy, give it a shot if you have been looking for a quick way to set up MRTG like reporting for your network, you can give me a call for more information if you want.

Jay

I poll the APs and retrieve SMs link data through the AP.

The following OID returns the power level (in integer form) for LUID2 on the AP you poll. Change the last digit for any luid.

.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.4.1.34.3 <-- luid 3
.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.4.1.34.4 <-- luid 4

You could probally find similar OIDs on the SMs by using any SNMP brower and walking the tree.

I use a pretty good free one: “iReasoning MIB Browser” www.ireasoning.com.

Hope that helps

Thank you both very much for your help