SNMP

I’m trying to figure out the best solution to monitoring my system. We’ve got WhatsUp Gold 8.0 currently running, but it’s merely polling using ICMP, and that’s not really giving us much data. I had trouble setting up SNMP with the provided MIB files and I’m hoping someone can give some advice. Is there anyone who’s got a good setup who could share their experience?

What’s the suggested monitoring software to use, and is there any Canopy specific documentation to setting up that software?

Thanks a lot everyone!

- Steven

We are still new to the Canopy scene, but have been providing DSL for several years now. Having yet to fully implement our Canopy system I cannot offer any advice directly towards monitoring the radios.

I have been monitoring our ground based network (routers, switches, DSLAMs) with MRTG (www.mrtg.org) with huge success. It gathers info via SNMP and has done exactly what I need it to. MRTG was primarily designed to monitor bandwidth/throughput but is easily expandable to monitor and graph anything that the equipment has an OID for.

Some general advice about SNMP: you don’t need to use the MIB files at all. Think of MIBs as a type of DNS. It translates the OID (IE 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.1) to a symbolic name (IE ifOutErrors). If you reference your OID as the numerical string, you don’t have to mess with loading MIB files.

we’re running whatsup gold on our monitoring server. i’m really just confused about how to set up the SNMP reports. i was having trouble getting the MIB files installed into whatsup gold, but even more than that, i am not sure how to write the reports to view the statistics they provide. is there anywhere i can get prewritten reports along with the MIBs? right now i’m simply monitoring antennas by ICMP and i’d prefer getting SNMP going so i can see more than just if an antenna is on or not.

- Steven

The reporting you speak of is (or should be) a feature of the monitoring software. The software polls the devices via SNMP, receives the results, and converts it into human readable information.

MRTG uses graphs as the main form of information display. Having never used What’s Up, I am assuming it has something similar. One of the things I monitor are the errors on my Ts. The graph should be a steady flat line at 0 (no errors) but if it spikes up, I know errors are cycling. I plan to do something similar with Canopy for RSSI and jitter. MRTG will poll and graph the results. That way I can see if/when interference drifts through the circuit.

Perhaps What’s Up has customizable tabular reports or something. Bottom line, the monitoring software coverts the SNMP polling data into something that we can easily access.

I hope that’s helpful,
Andrew

Dear
We are new to Canopy but we are running dailup and DSL in Afganistan.The problem which we are facing is that we are unable to Plot or to enable Snmp on our Sm and Aps.
Does anybody know how to enable all this.
Or is some one ploting MRTG for the sm`s and Ap.

Regards

Saud Hassan

ahull wrote:
We are still new to the Canopy scene, but have been providing DSL for several years now. Having yet to fully implement our Canopy system I cannot offer any advice directly towards monitoring the radios.

I have been monitoring our ground based network (routers, switches, DSLAMs) with MRTG (www.mrtg.org) with huge success. It gathers info via SNMP and has done exactly what I need it to. MRTG was primarily designed to monitor bandwidth/throughput but is easily expandable to monitor and graph anything that the equipment has an OID for.

Some general advice about SNMP: you don’t need to use the MIB files at all. Think of MIBs as a type of DNS. It translates the OID (IE 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.1) to a symbolic name (IE ifOutErrors). If you reference your OID as the numerical string, you don’t have to mess with loading MIB files.

The problem is simple, What´s Up Gold uses SNMPv1 and Canopy uses SNMPv2c, this is the reason by the WUG can understand the SNMP responses from Canopy. watch from Ipswitch for a patch to this issue.

I’ve been using both MRTG and SolarWinds to Monitor my network. The beauty of SolarWinds is that it’s almost real-time stats. Down to the second if you need to watch a unit. I also know that SolarWinds is working on a fully compatible canopy version of Orion (Expensive). I have been able to run off the Engineering Toolset which competes against anything under $1000 USD but acts like software in the $5000 USD range.
This allows you to accurately see Ethernet spikes and errors across the network. it helps you organize and watch from 1 window. There are a ton of other tools that SolarWinds offers which help when working with canopy, all packaged in the Engineering Edition. As for the features of ORION (canopy version) you don’t really need to graph temp, reg AP’s, RSSI and JITTER values in real-time so MRTG at its 5 - 10 minute interval polling is all you need.

Summary for a cheap SNMP solution

SolarWinds Engineering Toolset - Ethernet stats and troubleshooting
MRTG - Signal quality monitoring. (RSSI, Jitter etc.)

Summary for the best solution
SolarWinds Orion (Easy but expensive. Works with the Engineering Edition)

Let me know if you need more info.

I am using Solarwinds Engineers Toolset as well. I love it. There are so many tools to do almost anything with. I have been using it for around 8 months. Worth the money.

Aaron

An engineering edition toolset with SQL support will be available shortly and the engineers at SolarWinds are working on the other SNMP values that canopy uses. I would expect that by the end of the year SolarWinds will have access to all data monitoring for Canopy (regSm RSSI, jitter etc…).
if you have any further questions feel free to e-mail me: rhunt@talkwireless.com

Any additions to Solarwinds will be great. I wish they had a way to use Traps to trigger Alerts. I would like to get text messages when certain traps are received from the 45 Mbps BH units.

Aaron