Splitting Signals with Multidwellings

Wondering if anyone has done this and if so how. We have an office building that would like service. The office has 18 individual units within the building. We want to set up one 900 and split the signal between users. We are going to try a 5.7 first, but I don’t think we will have LOS so most likely will be a 900. How have of you have done this? And how many different users can you have with a 900 or a 5.7? Does the signal strength reduce by the # of users per SM. I guess the real Question is, how many users can I put on one 900 or 5.7 without degrading the preformance?

You should be able to use 1 sm and connect the offices either wire the office’s by some wireless solution,

Moto has all their AP’s rated at 200 per unit.

The SM is just a wireless bridge so there is no practical limitation on the number of users behind it. There is no loss of signal strength. Try for a 5.7 if you can get it to work as the 5.7 will offer you much more bandwidth than a 900. Depending on your pipe to the Internet you can offer up to 3000k for 299 and beat the pants off T1 pricing. A 900 is going to give you a max of about 1800k on a good day so you could offer a 1500k/750k as your best service.

As far as signal distribution to each customer, forget about wireless, it’s expensive, painful, and unreliable. I recommend a VDSL solution. We used to do this with TUT systems, but the 700k limitation was not acceptable.

We are now going to deploy NetSys VDSL. I have the first one on the bench and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Take a look at 69.42.24.246. Username is admin, password is 123. It will be up for the next day or two before I install it and change the IP/password.

http://www.netsys-direct.com. Don’t look at the online pricing. You need to talk to Bob Thompson 877-638-7971 to get ISP pricing. He’s a really good guy, very helpful.

8 (NV800) or 24 port VDSL switch
CPE (1 port or two port)

We are starting with the 8 port which will support up to 8 offices. Each office will have a Linksys Router servicing the users in that office. Since the VDSL switches are stackable, we will just add another switch when we get to 9 subscribers. On a rollout where I get over 8 users I will put in the 24 port switch.

This solution allows you to drop the cable from the radio into the telephone closet and then run the signal to each tenant over the existing phone lines (read that NO NEW WIRES!).

Stackable switch provides Web Based Management, SNMP, bandwidth per customer. The 8 port’s stock bandwidth levels are not very flexible, but they provided a custom firware set with more options for BW levels at

768/768
1000/1000
1500/1500
2000/2000
3000/3000
5000/5000
4000/1000
10000/10000

Hope this helps.

Jerry I have been looking at those myself but help me understand something here. The NV-800C would be more for a hotel that would have only 1 suscribed service for all 8 ports and the NV-800S would be more for a office building that had individual suscribed services to diffarent tenants. Is this correct?

I don’t know what the differences are, you would need to cal Netsys and talk to Tom. We are using the NV-800S. Feel free to log into mine and check it out.

Installed the NetSys NV800 VDSL switch today in a commercial building where there is extremely limited DSL service available (144k and everyone hates it).

Installed a 5.7 on the roof, and then installed the VDSL box in the telco closet. Installed the VDSL Modem in the customers office.

Pulled the 144k Covad circuit off the POTS pairs and used them for my VDSL modem. Reset the sonic wall to default and configured it for our network, and away it went.

Works great. We have 3.8Mbps/1.8Mbps to the switch, and then we are using the switch to limit each user in increments of 2M or 3M. We expect to get 20+ users out of this one building @99/mo that’s 1980/mo off one radio. Sweet

Jerry is this system still working fine?

also did the telco not give you a hassle over this and does it not interfere with there existing system like what if part of them wanted your stuff and part of them wanted to keep there old stuff?

We have a couple of locations this might work with

Jerry you are the man… this is absolutely fantastic…

I have 6 blocks that can’t get any form of high speed from the local provider,
thats like 400 customers. These apartments are high end executive apartments and the management company will not allow us to put SM’s on the buildings.

We have permission to put one SM on the roof then cable up the whole of the inside.

We were contemplating cabling up the whole building with CAT5 and some cisco/mikrotic switches, but needed a big signup before hand, to make it feasabile.

This will sort us out… but as kmeadows asked is it still working fine ?

We have them in 4 buildings. They work great.

excellent… Bob is great, placing the order today. Will keep you guys informed.

Gonna get an 8 port and a few CPE’s and see what happens.

kmeadows wrote:

also did the telco not give you a hassle over this and does it not interfere with there existing system like what if part of them wanted your stuff and part of them wanted to keep there old stuff?

Everyone uses the punch blocks in the telco closet.

Radio --> Switch --> telco room punch block --> POTS lines in building --> CPE modem
CO ------------------> telco room punch block --> POTS lines in building --> CPE modem

When you first install it, you need to leave the speed set to 10MB (Default) until the CPE handshakes with with the Concentrator Switch. Once you have a link between them you can set the speed to whatever you want.

There is an alternate firmware version for the switch that will give you better options for speed settings, ask Bob for it.

So far we have two of these installed, and both have been flawless. SNMP allows me to monitor per port which is huge. They have built in DHCP if you need it.

cool… if i have problems i will mail you if you don’t mind…
should arrive in this coming week hopefully.

We have been using a system from Merlot Communications www.merlotcom.com. Their system can deliver 10Mbps to each jack over one pair of existing copper. (and they have been talking about 25Mbps to deliver HD video on demand) If the building has a PBX system you can run data and voice over the same pair. If they don’t have a PBX then you can run voice over one pair and data over the other.

We provide wireless internet service to a ski resort town and have used this system to provide in-room internet to hotels and condos but you could do the same for an office building, apartment complex, hospital etc.

the nice thing about this system over a DSL system is that you get much higher data rates and there is no DSL modem. you replace the phone jack on the wall with a wall plate that has some electronics behind it. The wall plate has a phone jack and an ethernet jack (there is also a wall plate with 2 phone jacks and 2 ethernet jacks) Their system is basically a 10Mbps switch only each etehrnet port on the switch can be up to 1000 feet away and only use one pair.

we also install a nomadix box www.nomadix.com to throttle users and provide billing and credit card options if they want to sell the service.

We currently have 5 condo complexes and the system just runs. you can remotely log into the box and power-cycle the jacks and see if there is something connected to the ethernet port. very easy to trouble shoot but honestly we get maybe 60 phone calls per year from all 5 properties combined. most of the time their computer is just hosed or they are trying to use a phone cord in the ethernet port :slight_smile:

It arrived… works very easily… need to get the new firmware to give me better speed options.

In test I am getting too many ping packet drops. Latency is also suprisingly high 3-4 ms for a locally wired connection.

How are you testing it? I get 0% loss across even the most abused punch blocks. The 3-4ms may be due to impedance mismatch, too short of a cable, or both.

Keep in mind that these are designed to run over POTS phoneline, not a short section of Cat5.