Static routable, Micro$oft Windows?

Hi,

We have noticed a strange problem when putting a static routable ip address into a Windows PC and attaching it to an SM. A massive quantity of traffic comes across the network and eventually(within moments) the whole network stops responding. Whereas using Mac OS X or 2 different Linux distrobutions, we dont see this issue. Does the Canopy equipment use RPC calls for anything?

Matt

What exactly are you doing on the PC? Does the IP you are using happen to be the IP on one of your routers? What type of routing protocol are you using? It sounds like you are telling the network that your PC is the gateway and it is sending all the traffic to this PC.

Canopy doesn’t use RPC calls for anything.

What exactly are you doing on the PC?

The MS Windows XP PC is plugged directly into a 5.7Ghz SM. The PC is given a unique public static routeable address.

Does the IP you are using happen to be the IP on one of your routers?

No, this is the only device using that IP.

What type of routing protocol are you using?

Windows Networking (tcp/ip). IPX and Netbios are off.

Sounds to me like some type of virus or spy-ware on the machine. Have you ran a virus-scan or spy-ware removal tool lately? One of our customers is a local hotel, and I have seen many cases where guests of the hotel bring in their infected laptops with viruses and spy-ware and I am forced to shut off that particular guest as they have the potential to take down the whole network.

Are you familiar with packet sniffers? I use Ethereal on a regular basis. It can be downloaded (freeware) from www.ethereal.com. Simply start ethereal a few seconds before you plug the SM into the computer, and let it sit for a few minutes as it captures packets. Stop the capture, then analyze what type of traffic is coming into and/or leaving the PC you are having issues with.