Still far behind UBNT?

I believe , there are lots of your customers which have much more towers (not like me), they will have to replace all hardware just because soft is abandoned? 

We are not abandoning soft on 11n. If you look at the changelog we are bringing new features to the previous platform and not even talking about bugfixes. The focus is naturally moved towards your future to provide WISPs migration path when higher thoughput demand come in to town with 11ac and then 11ax hardware.

I will think about the site survey tool and see what we can do.

Dmitry, the Spec-An is very helpful and easy to use with the AC gear...but... there are a few issues that hopefully can be corrected.

Ok, I will check what we can do on this front

So I don't want anyone at Cambium to feel offended if we are a bit impatient for a basic, essential, required feature which has been missing for the entire history of ePMP.  I think that's about 5 years for us, and I've been saying this over and over again.

I am too long on the internets to be offended. Thanks for your straight feedback. Appreciate it being constructive. Honestly love you guys.

Dmitry

6 Likes

The site survey graph thing on the SA page would be pretty nice if it (1) had a list of all the sources below like the Monitor > Wireless > AP List  but with all the sources listed instead of just the ePMP APs .  and (2) was actually accurate. Like much of the rest of the info in the GUI it's mostly useless because information it provides is inaccurate or just wrong...

Ideally this SA Site Survey bar graph thing would have the list of sources below it and when you clicked on a bar on the graph it would highlight the source on the list below and the other way around.  Having a "Detailed" button for the list like the one on the Monitor > Wireless page would be nice and being able to sort the list by the various columns (specifically Freq, RSSI and channel width) would be super nice.

@brubble1 wrote:

The site survey graph thing on the SA page would be pretty nice if it (1) had a list of all the sources below like the Monitor > Wireless > AP List  but with all the sources listed instead of just the ePMP APs .  and (2) was actually accurate. Like much of the rest of the info in the GUI it's mostly useless because information it provides is inaccurate or just wrong...

As long as it can do all this quickly too.  That's why I've been harping on having the ability to see a regular 802.11 type site survey available - it's kinda a 'real time' report.  The Force300's SA is really cool, but when a client calls in saying that their interner speeds suddently went to pot 2 days ago, the first thing I want to look for is 'what channel is your router on?'   With the SA, that can take 20-30-45 minutes, and then (if that doesn't make the SM crash) then after 45 minutes, I don't know if it didn't detect it, or if I should still wait, or if it's not because of their router...   

So again, the SA is beautiful and VERY useful for some things, but not necessarily the best/quickest tool to see if their router happens to be on a nearby channel.  Maybe eDetect could become "eDetect Plus!" and have an area which shows the 802.11 site survey info.

I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, so maybe this has been pointed out already, but all that needs to be done to fix the complaints about the lack of a 802.11 site survey feature on the 3000/Force 300, is to display the data that's already in the SA in a list form (similar to the available APs under Monitor > Wireless). The information is all there already, it's just kind of hard to see when you might have to click through 50 different devices that are all stacked on top of eachother to find the one you're looking for (typically the customer's router).

1 Like

Well, somebody still has got the 2000 less then one year ago and they also want this feature

Who could it be..

@Mathew Howard wrote:

..... all that needs to be done to fix the complaints about the lack of a 802.11 site survey feature on the 3000/Force 300, is to display the data that's already in the SA in a list form (similar to the available APs under Monitor > Wireless). The information is all there already, it's just kind of hard to see when you might have to click through 50 different devices that are all stacked on top of eachother to find the one you're looking for (typically the customer's router).

More than that needs to be done. All the information is not already there, because sometimes it does not all show up. I had a 300-25 and a PTP 550 aimed at the same tower last week. The 300-25 was 2 miles away, the PTP550 nearly 10 miles away. The 300-25 did not populate descriptions for 2 of 6 AP's for over 24 hours (peaks showed up in spectrum graph, but description never populated). The 550 populated descriptions for all 6 AP's, but took a long time... like 45 minutes or more. All 6 AP's were Cambium. 

The SM was in a very rural enviroment. All the 300-25 could see was the 6 AP's so no interference blocking it from seeing the AP's (like I said they showed in spec graph, just never populated a description). Inside SOHO router was a R190, so only 2.4Ghz on premise. 

1 Like

I'll second CWB in saying that while the SA often will show the interfering source on the graph, more often, the SSID doesn't show up in the SA list at all, or it takes a long time (many hours) for it to show up.

A simple 802.11 site survey is really what is needed here, even if it knocks the link offline for 1 minute or something to complete.  It's also critical that it can be done remotely, with no visit to the customer to make it happen or to recover from it.

As a side-rant: I've actually stopped using epmp 1k 2.4Ghz stuff because of the lack of 802.11 site survey.  edetect is useless and one can't run the spectrum analyzer remotely on a customer radio.  I'll take lesser performing equipment in 2.4 just to make troubleshooting the inevitable customer-side problems easier.  This is less of an issue at 5Ghz, but not much less these days.

1 Like

Getting back on topic here. In reference to Cambium being behind UBNT, LTU PtMP has been widely available for how many years now???...Oh wait..UBNT just announced -yesterday- on their forum that all LTU PtMP models are now in mass production.  You can buy, and deploy, the ePMP 3000/300 today. 

1 Like

@Jacob Turner wrote:

A simple 802.11 site survey is really what is needed here, even if it knocks the link offline for 1 minute or something to complete.  It's also critical that it can be done remotely, with no visit to the customer to make it happen or to recover from it.

As a side-rant: I've actually stopped using epmp 1k 2.4Ghz stuff because of the lack of 802.11 site survey.  edetect is useless and one can't run the spectrum analyzer remotely on a customer radio.  I'll take lesser performing equipment in 2.4 just to make troubleshooting the inevitable customer-side problems easier.

What's equally troubling is that no one at Cambium seems to have noticed how useless eDetect is, and/or how necessary a client side remote Site Survey is.  I mean - someone decided to write eDetect, right? So some programmer(s) actually sat down and coded it - but no one seemed to know what kind of 'at a glance' information we need every second of every day, and therefore what information eDetect was supposed to provide.

2 Likes

Is ePMP running on LTU technology you mean? 

@beeonline wrote:

Is ePMP running on LTU technology you mean? 

I am guessing you are refering to my earlier post? If so, that is not what I mean. What I mean is Cambium has a current "State of the Art" technology you can deploy right now. LTU (a UBNT proprietary technology) is currently not widely available in PtMP as far as I know. 

Ubnt LTU for PTMP only available as beta hardware right now, thats the AP and subs. They say they are finalized and in mass production now.

2 Likes

I assume it's the same ex-motorola guys designing the LTU that designed their AirFiber stuff ?  If so, I need to look into their LTU stuff.

@brubble1 wrote:

I assume it's the same ex-motorola guys designing the LTU that designed their AirFiber stuff ?  If so, I need to look into their LTU stuff.

It's really hard to tell, a lot of those ex-motorola guys worked on the very original FPGA Air Fiber products that came out years ago. Rumor is that some or all of them have moved on from UBNT. The LTU is a custom ASIC designed in house... who knows who's working on it and if it even matters at this point.

Well they're claiming it's the same people that designed  Altair , Canopy and Airfiber so maybe it will be something great instead of the usual Ubiquiti overhype and/or Ubiquiti vapor/abandonedware. 

I hear you loud and clear that the site survey will help a lot. Let me think what and in which release we can do.

Dmitry

1 Like

@Dmitry Moiseev wrote:

I hear you loud and clear that the site survey will help a lot. Let me think what and in which release we can do.

Dmitry -  additionally, we also need to be able to tell the 1000/2000 series SMs to run their SA for a ISP selectable amount of time (let's say for 5 or 10 minutes) and then to reconnect to the AP and to display the results once it has them.

If this is simpler to implement - EVEN IF THIS IS JUST SIMPLY A PROGRAM WHICH RUNS ON THE CUSTOMER'S COMPUTER.  You could write a program which we could get customer's to download and execute, and that program would:

- access the SM
- change modes it to SA mode
- does the SA for a certain time frame
- downloads the results
- then resets the SM to SM mode
- and when it reconnects --- uploads the results to the ISP.