Surge Suppressor for 450i 900MHz PTP Link

Hello.

Which is the correct surge suppressor for the 450i 900MHz PTP Link?

Page 6-9 of the user guide states that the PMP/PTP 450i Series uses the 1000SSH but on page 6-10 is states the following:

The PMP 450 900 MHz SM is based off the 450 platform, be sure to use a 600SS to protect this radio type.

I was told that it was the Gigabit Ethernet Surge Suppressor but it does not seem to jive with the 14.1.1 documentation.

Is the 1000SSH the same as Model No C000000L033A?

I am thinking that the instruction on 6-9 are not for the Gigabit Ethernet Surge Suppressor.

Is there documentatuon for the Gigabit Surge Suppressor?

For the 900 MHz SM, and the PTP 900 MHz, these both use the 600SSH.

There's a handy guide available in the Knowledge Base forum here.

Yes, the C000000L033A is sometimes referred to as the 1000SS, and is the Gigabit Surge Suppressor.  This one should NOT be used with the 30 VDC radios.

That’s just peachy. I just wasted my entire day.

Was sold four of the Gigabit Ethernet Surge Protectors along with the link from a reseller.

What harm could be done to the radio if the 1000SS was used with the 450i 900MHz?

No harm will be done, but it won't protect the radio from surges, as it is designed to clamp at significantly higher voltages.

If you want, you can pm me with the reseller's name, and I can enact our "re-education program" for them... 

Matt would I use two of the 600ssh at each pens of the link?

One near the radio and one at point of entrance of the building. Total of 4 600ssh.

Other than Gig Ethernet what is the difference between the 600ssh and the 1000ssh?

@LostInTheTrees wrote:
Matt would I use two of the 600ssh at each pens of the link?

One near the radio and one at point of entrance of the building. Total of 4 600ssh.

Other than Gig Ethernet what is the difference between the 600ssh and the 1000ssh?

You only need one for each side. We mount our 600SSH's inside, and use the common ground bus in the tower bunker. The enclosure is IP54 rated, so it could be mounted outside as well.

Eric thx for the info.

So the 600SSH arrived yesterday. Four of them. Was told that Cambium recommends four of them. One near near the radio and one before entering the building.

It appears that the 600ssh was not intended to be pole mounted as it has a flat back and no place for cable ties. From the rear it also looks like the unit is not water tight.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. Did the sales person up-sell me two extra 600ssh? Do I design a bracket so that I can pole mount the 600ssh?

Eric once again thanks for your input on one unit per link. It sure would have made things simpler if I would have followed your suggestion.

One other question do I leave the 600ssh set to isolated or do I need to set it to grounded for the unit to be grounded.