Sync over power or timing port?

Hello

What is best, to get sync over the timing port or the Power/Ethernet port?

Also, if I get sync from the ethernet port can I pass it t another AP over the sync port?

Thanks

:slight_smile:

The best way to get sync is by using a CMM and sending it over the power port. I’m not sure about daisy chaining over the timing ports off of that, but with a CMM you shouldn’t need to. You can hook up to 8 devices to a CMM micro and power them & provide them with timing.

I wont be able to afford a CMM

I was hoping to get a syncpipe product.

:slight_smile:

There is no real different between sync over power vs sync over timing. They both provide the same timing pulse. We use both methods depending on the size of our sites.

You could sync your AP over the power port and run a timing cable to your other AP to sync it.

sync over power has some issues with it, there is an article from syncpipe that was posted in another thread recently.

I was also told you can use a syncpipe and run 3 or so APs sync off iton its own, if you want to exceed that number and still save a boatload over the CMM you can buy the syncsplitter

From what I’ve read most of the sync over power issues boil down to ethernet cabling, but the receiver is very sensitive and it’s not unheard of to lose your ability to sync over power on certain units due to surge or lightning damage.

For under $200 US you can GPS sync a cluster of APs with a syncpipe and syncsplitter using the timing port. Not sure on the costs but you can also use a syncpipe and syncinjector and do your timing over power with packetflux as well. In any event both solutions are a fraction of the cost of a CMM or CTM.

We use LastMileGear CTM’s at our distribution sites and use syncpipes at our edge POPs. Both work very well and work well together. For a single AP site a syncpipe is perfect.

wifiguy wrote:

We use LastMileGear CTM's at our distribution sites and use syncpipes at our edge POPs. Both work very well and work well together. For a single AP site a syncpipe is perfect.

This is exactly how we have our network set up and it works great for us as well... the CTM also carries the sync on in case of a loss of GPS signal and the SYNC-Pipe is supposed to do the same.
... unlike the CMM
CM