The repair of sm's out of warranty

Well this is the response I recieved from Motorola.

The question was does motorola service what they sell if it is out of warranty.

There response

We at this helpdesk are able to answer any technical questions you may
> have
> about Canopy but unfortunately we at this helpdesk do not have this kind
> of
> information.

This is the first company that I have dealt with that does not service their product.

clueless wrote:
Well this is the response I recieved from Motorola.

This is the first company that I have dealt with that does not service their product.

You got that right. Even Ascend had better support and provided bug fixes, at least. Too bad they were bought and dismantled by Lucent. :(

i have 15+ failed modems and i have no idea what do with them…thats almost 5k worth of paper wieghts and thats not counting the money they would be making me in field.

I strongly beleive Motorola should have a repair facility or an autherized repair center.

I can’t believe these are buy and throw away units when they break!!!

Do they offer an extended warranty? that would be better than as Vince say having 5k worth of paper weights and growing

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp ... php?t=2331

Moose
Fix two get one back, is an option but what happens if only one works?
Is there a warranty?, has anyone in here used this option?

You could ask a knowledgeable local electronics repair guy; if you found a good one and trained him with the Canopy products he’d probably be able to repair quite a few.

I have just a bit of electronics knowledge, but with my Canopy experience I’ve been able to repair a few SMs… if the problem isn’t software (which can be usually fixed by forced upgrades/re-flashes) but hardware it’s likely to be in the ethernet section or power section, which are luckily much easier to work on than the radio section. I haven’t tried it yet, but when I get more dead units to repair I’ll try swapping to ethernet chip/transformer between them, or using the vregs (2.5, 3.3 and 5v IIRC) from other Canopy units or electronics to repair the damaged sections.

I’m considering offering this as a commercial service if I can find a more knowledgeable electronics guy here in Winnipeg to help mentor me. I’ll see…