Tried to upgrade AP to 8.1.4 and now it isn't working

Got a Canopy Demo kit 3 days ago.
One SM had software version 8.1.4 on it, the other SM and AP had 7.2.9 .
Downgraded the 8.1.4 SM to 7.2.9 (because of all the problems with v8 here and elsewhere).

Long story short. Having to telnet in and reset the units ( because the http access / config constantly stopped working) was a minor annoyance in the office. However this morning I hauled everything up on the roof ( two flights of stairs, a 16 foot latter to one roof and a step ladder to another roof) and set the AP up.

Now this is a temp / test situation still so I used one of the SM’s as the backhaul 700 feet to my office were the SM is connected to my LAN (and thus has internet access).

From home I can access the SM or the AP. The AP sees the SM IP as the gateway the SM sees my network gateway IP as the gateway.

The second SM is not in use right now.

At this point the http locking up constantly became a big pain in the neck. Sooo, I decide to upgrade to 7.3.6

When I attempted to upgrade to 7.3.6 via CNUT -

CNUT:ESN: 0A003E91F584;Message: Cannot upgrade: burnfile Failed Output from Telnet session: burnfile Burn Boot from file: APboot.bin Validating Boot File… fread() of BootHdr failed File:APboot.bin is not a valid image file Telnet+> ( SITE= HTest001 )

Several attempts ( upgrading from 7.2.9 --> 7.3.6 at this point) and much document reading and web searching and I gave up.

So. I decide to upgrade to 8.1.4 (still 7.2.9 at this point). Read the 8.1.4 update instructions/manual. I’m set to Hardware Scheduling already, everything else it says is pretty much defaults so it is already there (I never changed anything to do with SNMP as I had not got that far yet). I fire up CNUT, load 8.1.4 and attempt to update the AP .

CNUT : ESN: 0A003E91F584;Message: Cannot Determine Device Scheduler Information, Check SNMP Parameters! Radio should be in Hardware Scheduler Mode in order to upgrade to CANOPY 8.1.4 Nov 9 2006 ( SITE= HTest001 )

The AP and SM are/was in Hardware Scheduler mode. Still are.

Now at this point , the SM and AP are still talking but something is messed up. For one, CNUT will not talk to the AP now other than to say :

Cannot Determine Device Scheduler Information, Check SNMP Parameters! ( SITE= HTest001 )

I can not access the unit via http no matter how many times I telnet into it and Reboot it.

I can telnet into it however many of the command line commands do not work. If I do " version " it just sets there. I have to close the telnet window and start a new one. Same thing for " Help " . However ls , telnet , ftp , reset and other commands still work.

I’m a bit worried at this point. Even if I climb back up on the roof all I can do is connect to it via Ethernet. I not confident that will really make any difference since I don’t know why telnet or http would work via Ethernet when they won’t work via radio.

I could make the dongle to short it but that is only going to reset the PW / IP , so I can access it… I can already access it…

Any suggestions ? FTP works, but if I read the information here and in the docs correctly there is no way to upgrade/revert anything other than via CNUT so I’m not clear on what files exactly I would FTP to it or what I would do with them once there since you can’t burnfiile via telnet anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also apologize for the size of this post. :frowning:

Farrell

Oh, and it is CNUT 2.2 ( and all the software versions I attempted are .pk2)

If you got shipped a 8.1.4 radio, you can’t downgrade it. The 8.1.4 has a different kernel (this time actually designed and built by MOTO do to licensing costs) That’s proba bly why you can’t get it to work. Actually surprised that you got it to take the 7.2.9 FW.

Not sure what you can do with the radio now. Perhaps having a chat with your Supplier ot MOTO to see what can be done with the radio

Frothingdog.ca wrote:
If you got shipped a 8.1.4 radio, you can't downgrade it. The 8.1.4 has a different kernel (this time actually designed and built by MOTO do to licensing costs) That's proba bly why you can't get it to work. Actually surprised that you got it to take the 7.2.9 FW.

Not sure what you can do with the radio now. Perhaps having a chat with your Supplier ot MOTO to see what can be done with the radio

I guess I don't understand. The radio shipped with 8.1.4 was a SM not the AP in question. The SM that shipped with 8.1.4 downgraded to 7.3.9 without any problems and, though I am not using it at the moment, it appears to work just fine. The only reason I even mentioned it in the above post was to make the point that I know how to use CNUT ( to change the software on a radio anyway).

1.)You shouldn’t have been able to downgrade that SM from 8.1.4 to 7.2.9. It doesn’t have anything to do with CNUT it’s the Firmware it’s self. The new radios with 8.1.4 are not supposed to work with Firmwares older then 8.1.4.

2.) From what I’m reading from your original post, it looks like your trying to upgrade the radios using the .bin files. You need to use the .pk2 files from MOTO. If you want to upgrade the radios to 7.3.6. You can find it here:
http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … hp?catid=1

Make sure you download the right Firmware for your radios (either AES or DES)

First are you using public IP addresses in the units? if so the older software 7.2.9, 7.3.6 the web interface will lock up on. use private addresses.

second I would build a default plug install it in the AP and see if you can log in using the default 169.254.1.1. For testing and as few radios u r using I would leave the default gateway at 169.254.0.0. this is only for management uses anyway and wont affect ur network. Once you get in to the radio set them up in CNUT and ask it to refresh/discover elements. if it finds them and says they are refreshed under status then do the update. this will tell you if CNUT is communicating with them correctly.

Well, turns out the problem is not the AP at all.

For whatever reason the SM is screwing up. Since I am using a SM for the backhaul to the AP I have to go through the SM to see the AP.

For no real reason I rebooted the SM and suddenly all my telnet commands and http work on the AP again.

As soon as I refresh the AP with CNUT however it all stops working again. It’s really kind of odd. If I so much as look at the AP with CNUT then I can’t touch the AP with CNUT after that , I can’t access the AP via HTTP, ‘some’ telnet commands no longer work on the AP ( “version” and “help” for whatever reason) . BUT , it is the “SM” I have to reboot and not the AP then Presto, these things start working again… at least until I touch the AP with CNUT.

I can use CNUT on the SM without any problems, but if I use it on the AP I have to reboot the SM. Weird.

I’m going to change over to the factory default IP range and see if “all” the odd problems go away.

You need to setup CNUT to reflect you’re layout like this
CNUT>–<SM>–<AP>–<SM>

the SM the computer is attached to should be added first to the root. The AP should be added to the SM. Try this and see if it helps. Not sure if it’s the problem but worth a shot.

upgrade to 7.3.6 1st. we had a issue w/ a few AP’s non advantage and ended up just leaving them on 7.3.6 but u must do 7.3.6 then 8.*

1.)You shouldn't have been able to downgrade that SM from 8.1.4 to 7.2.9. It doesn't have anything to do with CNUT it's the Firmware it's self. The new radios with 8.1.4 are not supposed to work with Firmwares older then 8.1.4.

Where did you get this info? This is not correct. The radio is the same radio and functions the same way.

Eventually Moto will no longer support pre 8.x, at which point I can see them releasing a new version of CNUT that does not support pre 8.x. I suspect (assume) that it will be a while before they go there as 8.x is still getting the kinks worked out.

As far as the access issues, set up the AP and SM so they are using the same gateway/subnet (Internet Router). Use a private IP. I suspect that having different gateways is the issue.
attitude0330 wrote:
You need to setup CNUT to reflect you're layout like this
CNUT>--<SM>--<AP>--<SM>

the SM the computer is attached to should be added first to the root. The AP should be added to the SM. Try this and see if it helps. Not sure if it's the problem but worth a shot.

DOH ! Thanks attitude, that was exactly the problem ! I would never have guessed it would make a difference but everything upgraded without a hitch and now I'm off to find something else to screw up.

Thanks

Farrell

Jerry, have you downgraded to 7.3.6 one radio that came from factory with 8.1 ver? or anybody?

moinavery wrote:
Jerry, have you downgraded to 7.3.6 one radio that came from factory with 8.1 ver? or anybody?

I did it. That is what got the whole " you can't do that ! - Well I did that - No ! you can't do that ! " thing started. After being told that I couldn't do what I had already done I was concerned I may have screwed the radio up and just didn't know it yet so I contacted Motorola and was told :

Motorola: "Well, *long pause*... officially you are not "supposed" to do that."

Me: "so it doesn't hurt anything , I'm just not supposed to do it ?"

Motorola: "You can do it, but we won't support the unit if anything goes wrong."

Me: " So it voids the warranty ?"

Motorola: " Yeah, you could say that. We just can't support it if you downgrade it and something goes wrong."

Me: " Ok, should I put v8 back on the radio ?"

Motorola: " If you already have 7.3.6 on there I would just leave it until we release 8.something. The 8.something is stable and will be available soon." (Note, the guy didn't say 8.*something* I just don't remember the numbers).

Thank you Farrel, I was worried about not been able to use the “special frecs” any more…

I made some tests, and if you have a radio on “special frecs” and upgrade it to 8.1, still register… :smiley:

moinavery wrote:
Thank you Farrel, I was worried about not been able to use the "special frecs" any more....

I made some tests, and if you have a radio on "special frecs" and upgrade it to 8.1, still register... :D

Not sure what "special frecs" your running but the FCC just busted / fined a WISP running "special frequencies". It as 5.2 gear and they had it running at 5.18 ( 5.18 is indoor use only in the US ).

Just FYI.

we are not in USA.

Thank you anyway…