Trying to configure Force 180 as an access point - help real quick please?

Hi,

I am kind of new to networking.  i'm trying to configure this Force 180 to be an access point where I am plugging it into a network so users can access said network wirelessly on their phones/tablets, etc within a mile radius.

I found this thread:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-3000-2000-and-1000/Force-180-served-as-standard-WIFI-AP-It-is-possible/m-p/81084

But i don't even see some of these options (like selecting Wi-Fi as a drive mode?) on my setup screen and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if I'm missing something.  I used the multiple videos I found to do a quick setup and even went through other settings.  It seemed easy enough but it's not working.  Am i using this for the wrong purpose?

Thanks in advance.

That is so bizarre, I don't even have that.  I see radio mode, access point mode, country and range unit only under configuration ---> radio.  And I am confirmed to have a ePMP1000 Force 180..... hmm  Thanks for your reply

What is the Version at the bottom of your screen?

ohhh my.  old old old i'm guessing.  2.4.3.  I found a spot to download the firmware.  Doh...thank you!

@kelr0110 wrote:

I am plugging it into a network so users can access said network wirelessly on their phones/tablets, etc within a mile radius.

Wait, are you trying to connect phones/table to this Force 180 from a mile away?

You really don't want to be using this for WiFi. The WiFi driver is buggy and extremely limited. It was only meant to be used temporarily for a short period of time when transitioning between other systems (like UBNT's Airmax M), and then eventually you'd turn it off and use TDD.

The radio you want to use is the E501S, w/integrated sector antenna.

3 Likes

Yeah we have some temporary contractors coming onsite and we wanted to provide them with internet, so I was thinking I could rig this for a while.  I can do a point to point config for the trailers that we'll be bringing on (I have a couple of these), but wanted to see if I could just "broadcast" a signal for them first. They're not a mile away, they'd actually be onsite, but that was the lowest setting I noticed on the radio.

I realize it probably isn't ideal and would switch to what we really needed if it didn't work well, but needed to show that it does hookup but it isn't the best option.  So was just trying a basic configuration so a smartphone could see it.

We have a F180 that I set up to provide WiFi to a generator and a camera. No problems with the gen or the camera in the year or so it's been up.

1 Like