Trying to figure this guys layout...

A few words. I just started working for a WISP. I’ll be trained in the next few weeks but I have gone over the manual several times. My problem right now is trying to map the layout of the network. The guy who built it was let go and won’t talk or return calls or give us passwords!!
If you’all can answer a few questions I would be in your debt!

How its layed out now.
1. Were in a rural area. We have 2 900 APs on a hill (all customer SM’s are 900) . 915 and 924 freq. And then a 5200 SM and a 5200 AP.
The 5200 AP was pointing into the mountains and the 5200 SM is pointing towards our admin building. Is/was he using a 5200 SM as a link to the admin building?
Is that possible?
Shouldn’t there be a backhaul to the admin building where are T1 is located and has 2 5200 AP located. Should I install a 5200 BH 20 connected to the 2 900 APs and shoot that down to the admin building. At this moment our connection is pretty flaky goes in and out. I can’t understand why he would use a 5200 sm!

*time to start the BBQ…be back

H

You CAN use a 5.2 SM as a Backhaul.(Personally I wouldn’t) Problem is they are VERY limited in regards to distance (that is most likely the problem). Perhaps a 5.7 BH or 2.4 BH would be better suited for that application. Check the all the spectrums at the tower and at your office before doing anything and go with the one that has the cleanest spectrum.

1. The 5.2 SM, can it handle the traffic? 90 customers. Would adding a parabolic dish thingy improve the “reach” of the 5.2 SM?

2. Control slots. I know all your AP’s need to have the same control slots set. But should they be set to the highest customers count the the one AP? Two in my case, even though there maybe only 20 people on another AP.

Thanks for the help this forum is incredible!!
    H
HHill wrote:
1. The 5.2 SM, can it handle the traffic? 90 customers. Would adding a parabolic dish thingy improve the "reach" of the 5.2 SM?

2. Control slots. I know all your AP's need to have the same control slots set. But should they be set to the highest customers count the the one AP? Two in my case, even though there maybe only 20 people on another AP.

Thanks for the help this forum is incredible!!
H

1) Will work assuming that you aren't exceeding the bandwidth of the SM or the packet per second handling (the latter being more likely a problem).

2) Set your control slots to the max you need on your most heavily loaded AP. We use a standard of 3 across the board. Other than a slight loss in aggregate bandwidth you won't have a problem with using a extra control slots.

You can’t add a reflector to a 5.2SM, it’s illegal.

90 Clients is alot you will probably need to set your controls slots to 3 or 4.
And yes set it on both the AP’s.

110 clients on a single SM. Way to many.

Again I suggest upgradeing to an actual Backhaul. More bandwidth and more Packets Per second, plus with the 5.7 or 2.4 Backhauls you can use a reflector, so better signal and more stable.

Thanks Frothingdog.ca and wifiguy!
If you don’t mind another BASIC question!! Iam glad to say Iam getting signed up for the LV training!

We are hoping not to spend any money (maybe a little) So, I went through all are inventory and found 3 5.7 BH 20’s still boxed! I looked in the manual and it says you can use BH as a “stand alone” link. Does that mean I can use a BH from our remote sites and bring it directly back to our T1 using a BH. So AP to CTM to BH to BH to ??? to internet? If so what all do we need ie: T1 multiplexer?

Thanks so much
H

So, I was reading more of the manual and it does look like I can bring back the BHS to a BH master to a cmm. Pg. 99
Please correct me.

H

Yeah - it will be no different than the existing setup other than instead of the 5200 SM/AP link you’ll be doing it with a 5.7 BH pair.

Frothingdog.ca wrote:
You can't add a reflector to a 5.2SM, it's illegal.

not 100% true.
all you have to do is turn the output power down

Thanks for the replies and help.
I am glad to hear we can use our existing gear.

Cheers
H