Trying to monitor wireless throughput of PTP650

Hello,

We have a Backhaul with 2 PTP650s.

I am setting up Zabbix to monitor Transmit and Receive data rate and data usage.

I could find the OIDs for transmit/receive data rate, but I have an hard time finding a way to measure the throughput of that link. I need to know how much data that link is passing to make sure the capacity is not maxed out, or if it gets even close.

Any idea on how to measure the data passed through the link?

That's a great question!

If you GET wirelessOutEthernetOctets (.1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.7.20.9) you'll have a cumulative total of all the bytes transmitted in the Data and Management services. Repeat this after a suitable period (say 60 seconds) and you'll have another number larger than the first one. Subtract the values and divide by the number of seconds between the two measurements, and you'll have the average data on the link in bytes/sec. Multiply by eight for bits per second.

The wirelessOutEthernetOctets was added (along with wirelessOutAllOctets and wirelessOutOctets) in System Release 650-01-46. Make sure you have release 01-46 or 01-47 before trying to calculate the traffic volume.

This OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.7.20.9 is not showing if I do an SNMPWalk

That could be because the firmware is earlier than 01-46.

Alternatively, it ciuld be because your SNMP software does not accept 64-bit values. The syntax is COUNTER64.

I'm using iReasoning, and I needed to set the SNMP version for the ODU to v2 or v3. SNMPv1 does not include COUNTER64 values.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I do have an earlier version. My SNMPWalk software does support COUNTER64.

Any other way to achieve that without upgrading? I just don't like in general the idea of messing with firmware of equipment on top of some iced out tower :)

@Mark Thomas wrote:

Alternatively, it ciuld be because your SNMP software does not accept 64-bit values. The syntax is COUNTER64.

I'm using CACTI and I have been unable to get 64 bit counters to work - despite following the instructions (the best of my ability).  Does anyone know CACTI and is willing to hand hold me though it? :) 

What is the minimum firmware version for PTP54600 and PTP58600 to access the live throughput data and OID?

@georgehbb wrote:

Yes, you are right. I do have an earlier version. My SNMPWalk software does support COUNTER64.

Any other way to achieve that without upgrading? I just don't like in general the idea of messing with firmware of equipment on top of some iced out tower :)

Sooo... we just use the counters off of the switch or router ports that the PTP's are connected too... maybe you can do something like this to avoid touching the firmware?

That is a good idea. Thank you for your help. I will see what I can do.

Also, see Calculating average utilization of the wireless link in PTP 670/700