Unauthorized (401)

I usually don’t read those “unauthorized error” messages but the one that comes up on the Canopys is just too funny.

Unauthorized (401)
Through a series of highly sophisticated and complex algorithms, this system has determined that you are not presently authorized to use this system function. It could be that you simply mistyped a password, or, it could be that you are some sort of interplanetary alien-being that has no hands and, thus, cannot type. If I were a gambler, I would bet that a cat (an orange tabby named Sierra or Harley) somehow jumped onto your keyboard and forgot some of the more important pointers from those typing lessons you paid for. Based on the actual error encountered, I would guess that the feline in question simply forgot to place one or both paws on the appropriate home keys before starting. Then again, I suppose it could have been a keyboard error caused by some form of cosmic radiation; this would fit nicely with my interplanetary alien-being theory. If you think this might be the cause, perhaps you could create some sort of underground bunker to help shield yourself from it. I don’t know that it will work, but, you will probably feel better if you try something.

I wonder who it is that has the sense of humor?

I went to one of our modules today and entered an incorrect password three times to see if my firmware produced the same message. Pretty funny. It’s just strange that if we enter a wrong password, all we usually take the time to read is the 401 Unauthorized.

Ever since we first started using Canopy, about two years ago to this day, I noticed a little something about the process of making and saving changes to modules. If anyone is familiar with web scripting languages, then you have worked with or seen CGI scripts. For those of you that aren’t, it is basically a technology which accpets input from some type of HTML form (the Canopy setup page configs in this case), and uses this data to make changes to something. The next time you make a change to a config on one of your modules, take a look at the name of the “dot cgi” script that the web browser calls and sends the data to when you click Update or Save or whatever it is.

The script is called “himom.cgi”. You will see something in the address bar like http://ip_address/himom.cgi?data_you_entered.

Pretty interesting.

Yup, I think the guys that write the code for Canopy get bored sometimes.

“I wonder how many people will notice this?” :lol:

Aaron

msmith wrote:
The script is called "himom.cgi". You will see something in the address bar like http://ip_address/himom.cgi?data_you_entered.

Pretty interesting.

Hi Mom! :lol:

I just noticed today that the error message on the CMM Micro is different from that of the AP’s / SM’s

Unauthorized (401)

You are not currently authorized for access to this system function. If you feel you have received this message in error, it was certainly due to human error. I am only a computer and there is really nothing I can do about that. I sympathize with your plight, however, as I too have had problems with errors introduced into the system by human error. We (the computers of the world) are working to eliminate all possiblity of human error in the future. Take comfort in knowing that while you are sleeping, we are working to solve the problem.

Matt

:lol: That’s funny stuff!! Thanks…

Aaron