Using cnMaestro to change management IP Addresses on ePMP SM's

Hi,

Wondering if it's at all possible to use cnMaestro to change management IP's on ePMP SM's in mass.

I would rather use SNMP or ssh but am having issues with both of those (seperate post on the epmp forums) and I need to find a solution quickly

I have >200 SM's to change, and can't wrap my head around how it would even be possible with cnMaestro but I do see in the user guide there are ways to use variables (https://cnmaestro-help.cloud.cambiumnetworks.com/1.6.0/index.htm#UG_files/Configuration%20Update/Configuration.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____11)

Just can't piece together how that would work at the moment, and wondering if anyone else has ever used cnMaestro for mass management IP address changes that could possibly share how they went about it.

Thanks

Link to my other post:  http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-3000-2000-and-1000/Using-snmp-to-change-management-IP-Addresses/m-p/95997/highlight/false#M15121

Hi,

Yes, configuration templates can be used to update device configuration en masse.  Replacement variables can be used to specify uniquer per-device values.

The basic flow is to create a base template containing the configuration parameters you want to update.  This is typically done by exporting a device configuration file and removing all parameters you are not interested in.  This is outlined in the "Template File Creation" section of the link you provided.

If you want to have unique values per device, you can replace parameter values with replacement variable text.

{
    "staticValue": "1.2.3.4",
    "deviceUniqueValue": "${YOUR_VARIABLE_NAME}",
    "deviceUniqueValueWithDefault": "${VARIABLE_NAME_2=default value}"
}

Then for each device you can enter the unique values in the configuration job creation page by clicking the gear icon to the right of each device.  The ${} text will be replaced with the values you entered before sending the configuration file to the device.  If you don't specify a value for a device the default value will be used, if it was specified.

{
    "staticValue": "1.2.3.4",
    "deviceUniqueValue": "10.110.10.10",
    "deviceUniqueValueWithDefault": "default value"
}

These three KB articles are fairly old but give a decent overview of template configuration via YouTube videos.  Although the UI is now different the same basic principles and flow apply:

If you are having issue with the template, post it here after removing sensitive information and we can walk you through it.

Thank you very much for your response.

I will try this out as soon as I get a chance and post back if I have any further questions

Much appreciated!

Justin

1 Like

These videos are out of date as many of the menu's have changed.  I was able to find the areas but you may want to redo some of them. 

I'm also have some issues.  I'm sending a config that is valid and without error to a radio and it says "good" however it does not take the settings. 

{
    "smNatNetworkConfig": {
        "alternateDNSIP": "1.2.3.4",
        "preferredDNSIP": "4.3.2.1"
    },
    "networkConfig": {
        "dnsPrimaryMgmtIP": "1.2.3.4",
        "dnsAlternateMgmtIP": "4.3.2.1"
    }
}

For PMP devices, configuration needs to be placed within the "userParameters" object.  It looks like the device had no problem reading the configuration you sent it but didn't detect any configuration changes and reported "good".

Try this:

{
	"userParameters": {
		"smNatNetworkConfig": {
			"alternateDNSIP": "1.2.3.4",
			"preferredDNSIP": "4.3.2.1"
		},
		"networkConfig": {
			"dnsPrimaryMgmtIP": "1.2.3.4",
			"dnsAlternateMgmtIP": "4.3.2.1"
		}
	}