Using NAT

Jerry, i’m thanking you for you help. Didn’t think of the wireless AP!

Now i have to learn the NAT and VLAN options.

Thanks,

kev

When I was doing 24/7 tech support, usually the very first thing I did with the customer over the phone was…
“Start”
“Run”
“CMD”
“IPCONFIG” If they had a 169.254.38.159 i immediately knew they needed to try to release and renew it to try to get the x.x.1.2 etc.
“ipconfig/release”
"ipconfig/renew"

Did that fix your problem? Good. Goodbye.

Jerry

Dosen’t ‘DHCP Stats’ give you what you what you want?

Example

Assigned IP Address Hardware Address Lease Remained/State
010.033.001.011 0015f288xxxx 27d, 06:48:00
010.033.001.010 00123f09xxxx 26d, 11:57:00

Adam

Kevin

Don’t forget you can use any wireless router, just plug the SM into the LAN side and make sure DHCP in the router is turned off and give the router an IP address outside the SM’s DHCP range but in the same subnet. Put a bit of tape over the WAN port to ensure the client never plugs anything into it.

We have just started using a Belkin wireless router that has the feature that you can turn it into an AP and switch, seems to work well.

Adam

Another A-HA! moment!!!

thanks
Jerry

I’m appreciating everyones input, very helpfull!!

i have several customers that have cameras (and the like) in their system. i have assigned public IPs to these devices to allow access from public.

The question: is there a way in the SM to NAT several devices, as above? Any port forwarding needed? Any VLAN required?

I’m a newby at the NAT and VLAN game.

Thanks,

kev

Kevin

You can use the DMZ to pass though for a camera.

Not sure if you could use many, I will ask my tech.

Adam

Even with NAT routers that support port forwarding, you are going to run into issues if all your cameras/devices behind the NAT device are running their services on the SAME port, with no option to run on custom ports.

Example:

If you have three cameras behind a NAT router, all running integrated web servers on TCP 80, you can only specify one internal IP address to forward external TCP 80 requests to. If you had the ability to change the port of the integrated web servers, you could keep camera #1 on 80, camera #2 on 81, and camera #3 on 82, and then create three port forwarding rules to their respective internal addresses and ports.

Assigning static IPs is your best bet at this point.