Using VoIP on Canopy

Does anyone have voip working over a Canopy?

I have Vonage voice-over-ip, with a Motorola modem (VT1005V).

It works fine if the wireless link is wi-fi, but not when the link is Canopy AP to SM.

I have the parameters set as the manual recommends, High Priority Uplink, UAcks, etc. (p23 of AP User Manual).

The symptoms are, the modem never trains up to the Vonage server. It acts like there is no communication at all. I have a hub on the SM with a laptop also connected, and it talks to the Internet just fine.

Motorola tech support has no recollection of anyone with voip, and referred me to Part-15.org. The sales literature for Canopy specifically mentions voip as an application. My Motorola distributor says it won’t work til version 5 comes out.

Does anyone out there know more about this?

Help, please!
Thanks,
Mark

mark wrote:

I am running a Cisco 7960 IP phone at my house over a BH20 link back to my office. I have no problems whatsoever.

We don't use AP/SM in our network, only BH units, so can't give much more info than that.

Regards,
Ron
mark wrote:

I have Vonage voice-over-ip, with a Motorola modem (VT1005V).

It works fine if the wireless link is wi-fi, but not when the link is Canopy AP to SM.

I have the parameters set as the manual recommends, High Priority Uplink, UAcks, etc. (p23 of AP User Manual).

The symptoms are, the modem never trains up to the Vonage server. It acts like there is no communication at all. I have a hub on the SM with a laptop also connected, and it talks to the Internet just fine.

Motorola tech support has no recollection of anyone with voip, and referred me to Part-15.org. The sales literature for Canopy specifically mentions voip as an application. My Motorola distributor says it won't work til version 5 comes out.

Does anyone out there know more about this?

Help, please!
Thanks,
Mark

ok.. the clocking sequence of backhaul is different than ap and sm's .. so if you are trying to do anything that has syncronization involved, you need to try to use a backhaul , not ap and sm. example if you did a t1 replacement , using a mux, even though the canopy radios link up , the mux won't it won't sync over an ap and sm.. but if you use a backhaul and set it to 50% up and down link , the link should come up...

I use Vonage over our Canopy network. We have a number of folks that do the same. Basically, most of the settings are at default and it works just fine. I would replace the Ethernet hub you refer to with a switch though. Hubs are just a cheap “splitter”.

We are planning to install VOIP in 6-12 months.
Am I correct to say Canopy doesn’t “do” VOIP, it provides the link to run VOIP between the SM and AP?
If that is true, I could run just about any VOIP solution, (ie CISCO, 3Com, Vonage) over the canopy.
Can anyone shed some light as to the Pros and Cons to what they are running for VOIP?
Can anyone from Motorola comment on the possibility of Motorola providing a VOIP solution in the near future?

Alan

jean vassauxok wrote:
the clocking sequence of backhaul is different than ap and sm's .. so if you are trying to do anything that has syncronization involved, you need to try to use a backhaul , not ap and sm. example if you did a t1 replacement , using a mux, even though the canopy radios link up , the mux won't it won't sync over an ap and sm.. but if you use a backhaul and set it to 50% up and down link , the link should come up...

This isn't really true, I mean you are right about the clocking being different, but that isn't causing this problem I don't think.

VOIP should work fine on ap/sm links. There are VOIP companies reselling canopy gear at really low prices to get ISP's to use their VOIP product. One of my customers has tested VOIP on their network with no problems.

It does work. If you see problems you need to take it one step at a time and debug it.. Start with an AP and SM on the bench, and get that working first.

How much download/upload bandwidth are you allocating?
What is your download data % set to? you msy need to do tests with different bandwidth allocations so you can find the settings that make it work. If bandwidth is a premium, limiting upload speeds so voip won't work is advisable, so you can charge extra for the people that ask for the extra bandwidth.

there may be other config problems. I have seen virus activity make canopy slow down in weird ways, and broadcast storms are also a problem. It is not unusual to find a canopy network consumed invisibly with junk traffic causing things like voip to fail.

Get it working on the bench, so you are only debugging one thing at a time. THEN move it to your network. Get a network sniffer with some protocol analysis features so you have a "scope" to see what is going through the wires.

We have two vonage phone working on our canopy network. Both are connected to the network with AP/SMs. All options in the AP are set to their defaults including the downlink percent.

All of our APs/SMs are currently running release 4.2.3 and are 5.7ghz.

The only trouble we had was getting the vonage unit to sync up for the first time. One we left plugged in overnight and in the morning it was synced and working fine. The other one we were a little more anxious with and issued the reset command which got the unit to download new firmware. Since then both units have worked fine, even after losing network connectivity they have re-synced to the vonage network without any trouble.

Joe

Dear All
As we are using ATA 186 with Canopy 5.7 the problem is that its voice Quality is not that much good.We are Using Bam for the Bandwidth Allocation.Can any body tell me any solution or way to that.

regards

Saud Hassan

I want to deploy a voip service in my town, i want to know what i need to start offering local service?
regards from Mexico!!

I have some questions for you guys that have had some experience Vonage VOIP. They have been advertising a A LOT lately on our cable network, and it has caught my interest. I decided to go to their website to check it out. They say that they provide the “adapter” for free when you sign up. I looked a little harder and noticed that it is a linksys product. More specifically, a Linksys NAT-router with a 3-port RJ-45 switch, and 2 RJ-11 inputs for your phone.

Assume the following situation. I sign up for service, and I wish to use one of our existing business telephone numbers. The tell me that this is possible. Once that conversion is complete, what exactly happens with someone CALLS US? Is it possible? I am interested in the routing that takes place behind the scenes, especially when it comes to IP addressing. Suppose you don’t have an ISP who provides you with a static address. How is it done then, DDNS?

In general, I would like to see how some of you guys would rate the quality of your Vonage service. We are looking into it like I said to replace one phone line to be used for long distance calls only. It really seems like a money saver. We actually would not receive calls on the line, just use it for outbound. I am still interested in how it works for incoming though. Also, any comments about bandwidth usage are appreciated. We have a T1 that we use to feed the Canopy network, but since we are using non-advantage products we would just use the Vonage straight on the wired side of the network.

Thanks guys.

I installed my Vonage unit on a 900MHz link pre 6.0 and it is now connected at 6.1. There is a lot of discussion about a serious lag when the unit is first connected to the Internet (I too had to wait overnight… well-known issue as best as I can tell).

Decent voice & I’ve cut Verizon. As best as I can tell Vonage uses the MAC address to initially identify one of their units (it is tied to the customer account), they might be doing secondary verification at the hardware level to avoid spoofing, but just a guess… part of the initial setup/download

Quite a few of our customers use Vonage and some of the other VoIP services. It works with Canopy just fine, and we didn’t change any of the High Priority settings. We found that we can not have the SM in NAT mode.