V5000 / V3000 Real world throughput & distance

Can someone who has deployed the cnWave 60 Ghz, please shed some real world throughput, and at what distances to expect throughput to start dropping off.

I know, this is all in the datasheet. Except, I’m finding different charts in Cambium videos vs other slides. The datasheet says the subscriber nodes are 1 GB UP & DN. Is this full duplex? Doesn’t say…

Some real world experience would be great! Thank you!

I can’t tell you too much about range, however, from my lab experience, when the SNR drops below 20 dB, the throughput comes down from 900 Mb/s through my v1000 cn’s. My lab is typical of very poor RF conditions, and I run my equipment at 13 dBm EIRP (max is 38 dBm EIRP) to limit radiation out of my lab, and of course, the range that I’m working is very short - 4-6m at best - I check the short range button for the best performance. Latency is always about 2ms across the link to my router, whether the SNR is 28 or 8 dB, but at 8 dB frame loss creps above 1%, and performance becomes poor - even DHCP to a PC behind the v1000 fails when SNR is that low. The seet spot seems to be 20-24 dB SNR.

A few other tips…do all your configuration in the E2E controller, and let it push the config out to your nodes as they come online. When you set up a device, the last thing you should do is reset it to factory default, and let the E2E push the config to every device (both DN’s (both nodes) and to each cn. If you need to make a change in config, do it in the configuration menu in the E2E controller. As soon as you save it, the parameter is pushed out.

Don’t allow ANY motion (lateral or otherwise) in your devices. Error rates spike when a device moves.

The DN azimuth is very important. Be watchful of the angles between cn connected to different sectors in the v5000. If you have 2 or more cn’s close together, try to put them on the same sector.

This statistics table from the E2E shows very good quality links. This SNR net’s 700-900 Mb/s ipeft TCP service levels from my lab core - the limitation is the v1000’s ethernet port, I think.

As I run more experimentation and network situations in my lab, I’ll update the community. I"m happy to answer any questions that I can.

Dave.

2 Likes

The distance limit is not so much at what point it drops off, but ast what point it drops off when it’s raining heavily. The few tests I have run outdoors are showing maxium signal at nearly 250m with a v1000 to v5000, but in Rain the signal drops rapidly and throughput right along with it so we are currently testing at 150m max and waiting for the next heavy rain to see the results. 700-850m is realistic for us and the v1000 is as Dave mentioned Gig only.

For ranges like 700-850m try the V3000 with the V5000, in the dry this should get well over a Gig and even in the rain hold up a solid link.

The charts you see will have different availability rates and rain fall as well as regional limits. What I would always suggest is use the LINKPlanner to see what the availability and throughput you’ll likely to achieve, it will use the rain model for your area and give you a good idea of what to expect.

1 Like

Hello,
I made a point to point with 2 V3000 45dB at a distance of 1250 meters. The link holds up in little rain but when it is strong the link drops. Only during the strong storm then the link immediately returns to the top. The customer in the usual way has a backup with 5 GHZ to ensure continuity of service.

I hope it is useful.!

3 Likes

Hello @VincenzoB thank you for sharing this. I assume you’re using 60dBm EIRP on this as well it would be interesting what availability you get if you looked at the LINKPlanner for this link in your region.

Have you tried the 1.2Beta3 on this link with the Alignment especially for the V3000 PTP to ensure you have the best alignment, although from what I see you’ve done a great job with that tube and visual alignment.

We are busy working on added an external failover feature to the V3000 where we plan to utilise Open/R and switch to a 5GHz radio when attached on the Aux port. The Open/R will monitor the link and as soon as the link drops will move over. Of course when the 60GHz comes back it will detect the faster link and move back automatically.

It’s coming soon…

2 Likes

Hi Antony,
I am not very familiar with link planner but I am attaching the statistics and the position of the two radio links so you can try.
The link runs at 1.2 Mbps in both tx-rx directions. The connection fails only in the event of a strong storm.
Yes, I have to terminate another 3 PTPs for this client, again for the usual network. Unfortunately the alignment of this, as you have seen from the photos, I did it with that tube and with the statistics with 1sec refresh.
With the tool it is certainly more precise.
Yes, the customer already has it in production as the main link, as failover it already has a link to 24 Ghz Mimosa and a 5 Ghz Microtik link.
However, surely the aux port would be used with the Open / R function.
But when will the use of challel bonding be available? In this case the apparatus will be very easy to market.
Thanks, see you soon.
P.s.
link Master 43.551268996904774, 10.304674166096232 15Mt
link Slave 43.562346148262684, 10.303994414385416 73 MtProcessing: PTP_CILP_SILOS-links-stats-2021-10-11T15_33_06.178Z.csv…
ptp.xls (50.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi

For a PTP link using 2x V5000 what distance can I expect?

Paul

150m or less between the devices to ensure high modulation level and fade margin. I have seen connections made at up to 400m, but the link was running on the lowest modulation level, and had ~3dB snr in great weather - this is too low for a reliable link.
With the same interfaces as v5000, the v3000 can go up to 1km depending on the rain zone you are in.

What planet do you people live on??? On Earth we get rain!!! any device that cant work in a little rain is useless and only a toy!!! cant believe Cambium and other companies of this calibre are selling toys!!! its not a carrier or service provider grade gear!

OK the question was real world!!! not real bench-top!!! one of the most important key metrics is RANGE!! 4-6m is not range for a products and platforms that are expensive!!!

Aga1 (welcome to the forum), the use case for Distribution Nodes, DN - DN is for a high throughput distributed network, using these and connecting them together with multiple POPs allow gigabit service to many users with benefits on redundancy and resilience.

Of course you can deploy these in a PMP, hub and spoke mode and the range for the link depends on the Client Nodes, CN’s. it will be 100m to 1km depending on the application and speed requirement.

The Planning tools LINKPlanner are pretty accurate in the performance and provide an availability based on ITU rain calculations which show the effect of rain and you plan around that, the capacity and availability you want.

Real world it really depends, we have 1000’s of deployments across cities, residential and rural areas, PTP, PMP and Distributed networks.

So range: We have Carriers using V3000 to form rings carrying 4G and 5G data with hops around a km but often less as they go from Base Station to Base Station which are normally 500m-1km.

Service Providers, rolling out Distributed networks covering hundreds of clients over large areas, sharing 10’s of gigs of data. Ranges of Clients from 50m to 100m or even 500m, again it’s about >1G or 300M services.

Enterprise customers, backhauling Wifi, CCTV, trailer parks etc again links are hundreds of meters. So when people say 100-150m that is providing 100’s of Megabits if not Gigabit and can grow to cover a wide area of kilometres.

So yes the range at 60GHz needs to planned for but the there’s options for many applications.

2 Likes

Hello,
What real distance i can achieve using P2P 2 x V3000 ?

There’s a thread where they are using a V3K PTP at 1.8km and working in the rain.

I would always urge you to model the link in LINKPlanner.