Version 8.1: Auto-negotiation issues with CMM Micro

Right after I upgraded to 8.1 I discovered a problem with auto-negotiation between my APs and the CMM. If the CMM is set to auto for that port and the CMM is set for auto the AP will constantly lose it’s ethernet link every few seconds. Setting the CMM to 100F or 100H for that port yields the same results. Setting the port to 10F seemed to maintain a stable link. On the APs all speeds are checked.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any ideas to fix the problem?

Did you try forcing it on the AP and the CMM, or just the CMM?

what if you force it on the AP and let the CMM Auto?

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Did you try forcing it on the AP and the CMM, or just the CMM?

what if you force it on the AP and let the CMM Auto?


I didn't try forcing it on the AP only because I don't really want to climb the tower and reset the AP if that doesn't work.

I see.

Let me know what you find out.

Here’s what I’m experiencing:

CMM AP Result
Auto ALL AP reboots every 60 seconds
Auto 100F AP reboots every 60 seconds
Auto 100h AP reboots every 60 seconds
Auto 100F+h AP loses ethernet and drops packets but does not reboot
100h 100h AP reboots every 60 seconds
10F All Stable connection but low throughput (1.5 mbps)

Not good

What version is the CMM?

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Not good

What version is the CMM?


The newest... 2.2.

Hmmm

I know it worked before, but…

Shielded cable?

Lightning Arrestors between AP and CMM?

Is the CMM properly grounded?

The cable is shielded. Canopy surge protectors are used between the APs and CMM and everything is very well grounded.

I should mention that one of the APs is still running 7.2.9 and it doesn’t experience any of these issues.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Hmmm

I know it worked before, but…

Shielded cable?

Lightning Arrestors between AP and CMM?

Is the CMM properly grounded?

Bummer. Did moto post any links to bug reporting?

Otherwise you should give them a call so they can log it.

I haven’t seen any bug reporting links yet.

I did call Moto and they are going to try to replicate the problem in their test lab.

I really hope that they can fix this soon as this is a really major issue. This firmware is unusable to me until a solution can be found.

Is anyone else using 8.1 APs on a CMM yet?

I am going to be updating a test unit AP on a cmmmicro tomorrow.

I can try to let you know what I find out.

Did you read the release notes for upgrading to 8.1? There is a documented bug-fix that deals with auto-negotiation. They also have a cuation about upgrading and auto-negotiation. I’ll have to go back and look to see what it says exactly. What were your link settings just prior to the upgrade?

Zach.Page wrote:
Did you read the release notes for upgrading to 8.1? There is a documented bug-fix that deals with auto-negotiation. They also have a cuation about upgrading and auto-negotiation. I'll have to go back and look to see what it says exactly. What were your link settings just prior to the upgrade?


Yes I did read the release notes regarding the auto-negotiation bug-fix. It basically stated that mis-matched settings won't work anymore, even though they did before.

The problem here is that almost any combination of settings doesn't work.

When I begn the beta on V8 I had the same issue. I use all cisco on the back end. Prior to V8 I forced all radios to 100FD - otherwise there was trouble. On the first deployment of version 8.x this broke. I had to allow at least 2 choices on the duplex and speed for the BH’s and AP’s - otherwise I had the same scenario as you. The auto duplex now seems to actually work well with the Cisco equipment.

When I have the CMM on Auto and the APs set for 100F+H the AP loses ethernet and drops packets but does not reboot. Which two did you have selected?



dptexas wrote:
When I begn the beta on V8 I had the same issue. I use all cisco on the back end. Prior to V8 I forced all radios to 100FD - otherwise there was trouble. On the first deployment of version 8.x this broke. I had to allow at least 2 choices on the duplex and speed for the BH’s and AP’s - otherwise I had the same scenario as you. The auto duplex now seems to actually work well with the Cisco equipment.

After upgradeing a new tower just installed, the ap’s are at 8.1.4 and the cmm is still at 2.0.8 No issues what so ever so far. I am going to be bringing the cmm up to date and see what happens.

Cmm 2.1.3 no issues so far.

Cmm micro 2.2 - no issues no packet loss. I am not using vlans or dont have any of the new features on. All aps have all 4 speeds checked and cmm is setup to auto. Seems to be working fine.

Keefe - I am experiencing this as well on an AP. I did this on one radio that didnt have any customers on it. It will do the EXACT same thing as you described. Here is what I found out.

The FPGA on it is 041002, but it should be 041006. Moto recommended downgrading to 7.3.6 then back to 8.1. I tried it and it didn’t work, it wont go back to 7.3.6. Moto stated that this was a 4 year old software version but the AP was brand new when we installed it. Tried doing the 8.1 upgrade on it again and it didnt work. Now it looks like I am making a tower climb to fix this issue. This is the only thing I have seen with 8.1 so far. I have 3 (employee) SM’s upgraded to 8.1 and it is working perfectly on the SM’s.