VLAN on SMs and APs

VLAN is optional feature to seperate traffic in order to reduce congestion.
You can also use regular unmanaged switches from Linksys…DLink etc.
but they don’t support VLAN.
You can also use radio from Tranzeo along with Motorola…
Everything depends upon Network Layout and Planning.

alexdehaini wrote:
My devices are connected this way:

SM -> AP -> CMM -> BHM -> BHS -> CMM -> AP -> SM ( For clients not using the Internet, WAN clients.

SM -> AP -> CMM -> BHM -> BHS -> CMM -> Switch -> Bandwidth Manager -> Firewall -> Router -> Internet ( For Internet Clients)

I want to be able to put WAN clients in different VLANS for security purposes without using my switch. Secondly, we have a Wireless DHCP server connected to the switch that gives IP to clients in bridged mode. All our other clients are NATTED. We will like to place those wireless clients in separate VLANs as well.

Hi, I have almost the same devices connected but we have managed switch in the middle cmm and bhm

SM > AP > CMM > Managed Switch > BHM > BHS > CMM > AP > SM

And I cant get the same VLAN talk each other.
Is it possible that the managed switch (we havent configure anything to the managed switch, so just act like ordinary unmanaged switch) is blocking the VLAN?

Most probably unless you setup the VLANs that you are using on your SMs, onto the Managed Switch, it is blocking all VLAN traffic that is tagged other than VLAN1

vanilla wrote:
Most probably unless you setup the VLANs that you are using on your SMs, onto the Managed Switch, it is blocking all VLAN traffic that is tagged other than VLAN1

But I havent configured anything to the managed switch, supposed the switch will pass anything that comes to it isnt it?

SM > AP > CMM > Managed Switch > BHM > BHS > CMM > AP > SM

I will try directly without the switch

edit:
so how if I have 4 more backhaul coming to this POP? Because CMM only have 8 ports, 6 is already use by AP and 1 port is for data to switch

thx in advance

hi Guys,

I have tested this VLAN feature and it doesn’t seem to work. This is my setup

SM1 --> AP1 --> CMM --> BHM --> BHS --> CMM --> AP2 --> SM2

I put the two SMs in different vlans, and enabled vlan on the APs but both SMs are able to access devices behind each other and pass traffic.

The only time both SMs can’t access each other is when you change the UID of any SM to any number. Assuming we change the UID of SM1 to 5, SM1 will not be able to pass any traffic but SM2 will be able to access it and not devices behind SM1.

Has anyone successfully setup VLAN using canopy gears, if yes, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks,
Alex

How did u configure VLANs on the APs and SMs?

What is behind the SMs? Managed switch or non-managed switch?

Also make sure in the AP you set configuration source to BAM+SM if you use BAM, or SM if you don’t. This is the part that really held me back when i was bench testing VLANS.

By putting the SMs on different VLANs, which setting are you referring to? To segregate customer data properly you will need to set Untagged Ingress VID to the one of your choice - otherwise frames coming into the SM are tagged as VLAN1 and blasted across the network. (Not entirely sure if they’re transmitted tagged or untagged, I always stay away from VLAN 1 stuff.)

Hurray,

I have successfully implemented VLAN on the canopy network. Basically, all you have to do is change the Untagged Ingress VID on the SMs to what you want them to be. This is allow the SMs with the same UID to communicate and pass all forms of traffic between themselves only and not other SMs.

This created another issue though. I am unable to pass traffic via a switch even after configuring the switch port to be on the same vlan id as the SMs that have UID enabled.

How can a SM with UID other than 1 pass traffic across a switch?

Your APs will need to be configured with either dynamic VLAN learning or have the VLANs added to their membership table. From there you will need to add the new VLANs to your dot1q trunks.

Salad,

That was exactly what I did except the Dynamic learning been on in the AP part. The SMs are configured with vlan id 3, dynamic learning off, UVID 3. On the AP, vlan enabled, vlan id 3.

All SMs with UVID 3 can communicate with one another and not with other SMs that have different UVID or the default UVID across the WAN.

SMs with uvid of 3 can’t pass traffic across the switch even when the switch port is configured with vlan id of 3.

Traffic goes through once the uvid is back to one on the SMs. I also noticed that the AP has a uvid of 1 all the time, it does not change.

This was my setup

SM --> AP --> Switch --> Internet

I connected another machine directly to the switch and I wasn’t able to access it because my SM had a uvid other than 1. I have noticed that implementing vlan on the canopy gear i.e. SM and AP has to do more with the uvid than any other setting.