Watchdog function on ePMP

You can tell yourself that you don't need a ping watchdog, but as customers we both want and need it. You never know what strange bugs exist in any given release of firmware. Ping watchdog on other platforms have saved hours of our techs driving out to remote locations.

@PNESBREFF wrote:

Ping watchdog on other platforms have saved hours of our techs driving out to remote locations.

Absolutely. For me, it's not so much just bugs or just the stability of the radio, and Eric is correct, Cambium have been very very reliable. But there are times when it's 4AM and we're trying to optimize performance on a link (for example) and it only takes one tired/wrong/typo and suddenly the link doesn't re-link after activating a change. Maybe I just wanted to see if 40Mhz was better or worse than 20Mhz, but what if that can't link for some reason?  Argh, and it's a two hour drive to revert the far side back to the previous settings. :( 

NOW, on the upside, version 4.3.1 on the Force300's DOES HAVE a Ping Watchdog, so that's awesome. Cambium has also said those features will become available on 4.3.x on all other platforms shortly, as soon as that software is ready to go onto the e1K/e2K platforms too. :)

The one that gets me and the reason I miss the "test" option Ubiquiti had is trouble shooting Ethernet problems...Ā  When something wonky is going on with the Ethernet and you think "Hmm I'll try locking down the port speed and see what happens"Ā  on Ubiquiti you wouldn't give it a second thought but on Cambium your next thought is "Better not.. it's 2am and if I lose ethernet access I have to drive all the way out there and then I gotta set up a subscriber radio so I can connect to the AP via its wireless interface and put the port speed back on auto.."Ā  Ā 

And if you haveĀ  "can't access the radio via the wireless interface" option turned on.. well you're not getting into that AP until it's defaulted now..

3 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s an excellent example why a TEST function is absolutely a basic necessity.

1 Like

Hi all,

The watchdog functional has been introduced in the latest FW version.

Test function will be delivered in the release after the next release.

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the watchdog function,Ā  I can only find it via the cli though.Ā  Is there a somewhere where I can lookup the usage.Ā  In show config I just see watchdogMode Ā  4.Ā  not sure what the "4" means.

For 802.11n products Watchdog will be available through UI in 4.4 FW version.

Thank you.

1 Like

Finally!! What a great news... after about 3 years from my first post, we'll have that function over epmp1000/2000 platform!!

Thanks!

1 Like

Please tell me where this function is available? I'm testing 4.4 rc23

Fedor, can you direct me where to enable the Ping Watchdog function in ePMP Version 4.701? If it is there, I havenā€™t found it.

Hi,

Please check Tools->Watchdog on the menu.

Thanks

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to scroll to bottom of Tools list