Watchdog - Reset Ethernet of Force300

In the WATCHDOG function, it can do a:
"Wireless Restart" - "Ethernet Restar" - "Device Reboot"

Is there a way to trigger an Ethernet Restart via the command prompt, or via some other method?

I have Force300-25 PTP links, and one of these links stops passing traffic over the AP's Ethernet side.  I've reports this before several times - it passes wireless data just fine, but I can't ping through it to the Internet.  If I reboot, it resumes working for a week or two, and then I can't ping the internet again.

Anyway - THE QUESTION IN THIS POST IS - I'm looking at the Watchdog and wondering if there is a way to manually trigger that ''Ethernet Restart" function that's in there?

@ninedd wrote:

In the WATCHDOG function, it can do a:
"Wireless Restart" - "Ethernet Restar" - "Device Reboot"

Is there a way to trigger an Ethernet Restart via the command prompt, or via some other method?

I have Force300-25 PTP links, and one of these links stops passing traffic over the AP's Ethernet side.  I've reports this before several times - it passes wireless data just fine, but I can't ping through it to the Internet.  If I reboot, it resumes working for a week or two, and then I can't ping the internet again.

Anyway - THE QUESTION IN THIS POST IS - I'm looking at the Watchdog and wondering if there is a way to manually trigger that ''Ethernet Restart" function that's in there?

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no way to trigger it manually from UI or admin CLI.

I apologize if I misunderstand you, but configuring the watchdog to ping some IP on the Internet and restart Ethernet should work perfectly for you.

Could you please send me Tech Support Files from both radios?

I guess I can help you to solve the issue.

Thank you.

Would be cool you could create more than one watchdog.  I mean, having the option to re start/boot 2 different interfaces but you can only ping out 1 of them is less useful than it could be.

If you are pinging something (the Internet or whatever it doesn't matter) and that something is reached via the wireless interface then watchdog is not useful if it's the Ethernet interface that stops passing traffic and the other way around if you are pinging something reached via the Ethernet interface then it's not useful if the wireless interface breaks...

Another cool option to take full advantage of being able to reset interfaces would be an option to reboot the device after resetting the interface (possibly X number of times). For example the IP becomes unreachable, the radio resets the interface, the ip is still unreachable so the radio reboots.

2 Likes

Fedor - thank you for the reply. I do appreciate when someone from Cambium replies to the pleas for help in these forums, so thank you.

My question is: I am wondering if there is a way to manuallytmanually an Ethernet restart?

As far as the watchdog is concerned, the watchdog is fairly rudimentary and no, it doesn't accomplish what I need. It also has numerous fatal shortcomings - Ping intervals shorter than one minute are not allowed, a link would need to be down for at least three minutes before triggering, there is only one level of event, but I ping watchdog should be able to reset the wireless for example, but if that doesn't resolve the issue it should also be able to reboot the device, instead of just continually triggering event A. Plus, with this watchdog, if the IP is reachable by a secondary path.. then the trigger event is not triggered. So that makes it not useful for many situations, including this one which I'm trying to diagnose.

Also, thereis no feedback I can see... Can't seeisee the pings are being responded to, how many missed, how many hits... no feedback or information at all that I can see.  Not nearly a functional for helpful tool.

You can use SNMP CLI command to down/up ethernet interface:

F300>snmp set -v 2c -c private 127.0.0.1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7.3 i 2
F300>snmp set -v 2c -c private 127.0.0.1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7.3 i 1
1 Like

@oov100 wrote:

You can use SNMP CLI command to down/up ethernet interface:

AH, that might work!  Thank you - I'll try that next time.

No answer to the question here ninedd but thought I'd add in case it helps anyone/Cambium - I've only had two force 300 ptp links in production but they both behaved as this one where it seems the eth port just stops passing traffic.  Both on same tower and on AP side of link.  The watchdog helped but at the end of the day I only had stable links if the radio eth port was set to 100 Meg instead of a gigabit.  To note, when the links were up and working at 1GB eth/40MHz channel they worked amazing, I just couldn't seem to get long term stability out of them, not sure what my problem was.

Thanks for the reply.  :)  In my case, we have several Force300 PTP links, and they are working really well.  We have given up on the 'ePTP' mode, and gone back to TDD mode, and (except for the the high latency) the throughput and stability are fine I think.

However - we have this one link which stops passing data on it's ethernet... my theory is that it's Spanning Tree deciding that it's a routing loop, and choosing to stop passing data that direction. I don't think it's actually a hardware problem.  So - that's why I was asking if there was a way to trigger a reset of the Ethernet.  The ping watchdog will not do what I want - but if there was a way to do a similar trigger of an ''ethernet reset'' - that's what I would like to try.

@misterwhitaker wrote:

No answer to the question here ninedd but thought I'd add in case it helps anyone/Cambium - I've only had two force 300 ptp links in production but they both behaved as this one where it seems the eth port just stops passing traffic.  Both on same tower and on AP side of link.  The watchdog helped but at the end of the day I only had stable links if the radio eth port was set to 100 Meg instead of a gigabit.  To note, when the links were up and working at 1GB eth/40MHz channel they worked amazing, I just couldn't seem to get long term stability out of them, not sure what my problem was.

Hi,

It makes sense to check if the Smart Speed feature is enabled on the radios.

Configuration -> Network.

Thank you.

@Fedor wrote:
It makes sense to check if the Smart Speed feature is enabled on the radios.

Configuration -> Network.

Thank you.

It is currently on.  

However, my question is: How can I trigger an "ethernet reset" manually?  I want to try to (manually) trigger the same sort of 'reset ethernet' that the watchdog can do.  NO - I'm not using the watchdog, and no - that's not an workable option for me in this situation. The watchdog won't work, and besides - I want to reset the ethernet manually, while I'm watching, to see what it does when the issue appears.

I honestly think they have a hardware issue. We had this issue with our very 1st batch over a year and a half ago they sent us new replacements and said there was something wrong with the ethernet portion of the 300-25 units we had. I think they still have pallets of defective units floating around.

1 Like

I too have asked abotu this smart feature and was told OHHH it has no effect on anything and support did not really think it had anything to do with this issue and it really didnt work anyways for whatever it was supposed to do. I brought this up when we first noticed the feature show up on a firmware revision during the time we had ethernet issues and support sent us replacements and told us there was something wrong with the units we had based on serial or mac addresses they cross checked that was why we had to send them back and get replacements.

@accelwireless wrote:

I honestly think they have a hardware issue.

That might be, I don't know.  We are not having any ethernet issues with any of our Force300's that makes me believe there is a defective ethernet in any way.

I'm not trying to argue - I'm just trying to be clear that my question isn't about a defective ethernet - my question is "How can I manually initiate an Ethernet Reset - similar to what the watchdog does with it's 'reset ethernet' function"

sorry maybe i misunderstood but you did post "I have Force300-25 PTP links, and one of these links stops passing traffic over the AP's Ethernet side. "

Meaning to me you have some sort of issue with ethernet not working and you were looking for a solution of some kind of a script to reboot the ethernet.

My comment was that we have seen similier issues in force 300 units and cambium sent us replacement units to fix the similier ethermet problems we were seeing that you appear to be having.

If you want to rectify it by creating a reboot script so be it but Cambium needs to know the root cause of these issues and i for one do not want to have to reboot stuff because the ethernet locks up on a device they manufacturer.

I would hate for our service truck to quit running while driving down the road and call up ford and ask them for a way to restart it automatically so i dont have to do it etc.

I think your missing the whole point but then again maybe stuff locking up is not an issue for you but for us its a major issue.

@accelwireless wrote:

I too have asked abotu this smart feature and was told OHHH it has no effect on anything and support did not really think it had anything to do with this issue and it really didnt work anyways for whatever it was supposed to do. I brought this up when we first noticed the feature show up on a firmware revision during the time we had ethernet issues and support sent us replacements and told us there was something wrong with the units we had based on serial or mac addresses they cross checked that was why we had to send them back and get replacements.

It always makes sense to open the ticket with the Cambium Support Team.

We are working on each ticket individually to solve it in a timely manner.

On the provided Tech Support Files basis we can make a conclusion if it's a Hardware issue, a Software issue, or anything else.

Thank you.

@accelwireless wrote:

sorry maybe i misunderstood but you did post "I have Force300-25 PTP links, and one of these links stops passing traffic over the AP's Ethernet side. "

Meaning to me you have some sort of issue with ethernet not working and you were looking for a solution of some kind of a script to reboot the ethernet.

My comment was that we have seen similier issues in force 300 units and cambium sent us replacement units to fix the similier ethermet problems we were seeing that you appear to be having.

If you want to rectify it by creating a reboot script so be it but Cambium needs to know the root cause of these issues and i for one do not want to have to reboot stuff because the ethernet locks up on a device they manufacturer.

I would hate for our service truck to quit running while driving down the road and call up ford and ask them for a way to restart it automatically so i dont have to do it etc.

I think your missing the whole point but then again maybe stuff locking up is not an issue for you but for us its a major issue.

Hi, I appreciate your reply and your attempt to help. Yes, this is an oddball, difficulty to explain problem location. I am not ntrying to argue about any other problems you or anyone else may be having. I'm not trying to minimize or negate or argue any of the points or suggestions you brought up about things happening on your network. Those are all valid and would be helpful to other having hardware problem - I don't think we are. We have this one location with a difficult to isolate issue. So, I am not wanting to argue about hardware issues you may be having on your network... those would be bad to deal with for sure.

What I am doing, is that I'm trying to find out how to manually trigger a "reset ethernet" - similar to what the watchdog says it does.

I'm not wanting this for a "Band-Aid fix" and I'm not looking to "automate a script".  I have dozens and dozens and dozens of Force 300 in the field, we are not seeing random ethernet problems or random lock-up problems. I have this ONE LOCATION where the AP stops sending data to the fibre connected to its ethernet, and I've done several things to try to diagnose and isolate what the cause is. The next thing I want to try, is that I want to manually do an "ethernet reset", similar to what the watchdog says it does with "reset ethernet".  I want to trigger this manually, while I watch and see what happens.  No, the watchdog won't work for this. No, a support ticket didn't work for this. No, I don't want to automate a Band-Aid fix. Yes, random Lockups would absolutely be a major problem here too - but we are not seeing those, and I'm not talking about random lockups. This is one specific location.

Again, I appreciate your suggestions and your attempt to help... that is a great thing about the cambium community. The step that I'm at in my diagnostic is that I would like to manually reset the ethernet the next time this happens.

@Fedor wrote:

It always makes sense to open the ticket with the Cambium Support Team.

Thank you. In this situation, a support ticket was not effective.

I have one LOCATION with an oddball periodic issue, and the step I am at to try to isolate it, is that I'd like to manually reset the ethernet next time, to see what that does when the problem occurs next time.

for over a year and half i try to figure out what happen. Here what i know. The Force 300 in TDD mode work perfectly if your ethernet speed are a 100 MBPS the problem only happen when the ethernet is at 1000MBPS tested until 4.4.3. In TDD mode the radio completly stuck when the problem happen( i doesn't recheck this behaviour on 4.5).I filed a ticket last year make me change the radio without result. In EPTP Mode the radio doesn't get stuck but the vlan you pass traffic will stop... Native or Tag traffic. but if you setup your radio with ip on native vlan and pass your traffic between the two router in a tag vlan you can still get access to both radio (tested on 4.5 and 4.5.4-RC7 Beta). It's quite strange... it's look like a ethernet drivers problem.

I had the same problem with the SM FORCE 300, I opened a ticket in support and they replaced the equipment, although the replacement presented the same problem, I used the watchdog to restart the equipment when it lost communication with the LAN, but the disconnection was approximately 4 min, which was not acceptable, currently I have working a FORCE 200 SM without locks, connected to the AP FORCE 300.

Thank you for the replies.

To be clear - these problems you are having with your hardware are not the same as my problem which I'm trying to diagnose.  As far as I know, I'm not having any hardware ethernet issues.  I have many, many Force300 SM's in the field, and I have many Force300c and Force300-25 PTP (TDD) links which have been stable running or 4.5.4-RC7 or 4.4.3 versions.  I am not arguing that you are having your problems... but I'm just saying when someone replies with "Im having the same problem with my ethernet locking up" -- as far as i know, I don't think that's what's happening for me at this one location.

So - I'm trying to find out how I can "reset the ethernet"... somewhat similar to what I assume the watchdog does with it's ''reset ethernet'' option.  I don't want it as a bandaid, and I don't want it to happen automatically... I want to trigger an 'ethernet reset' when the problem appears, while I watch, so I can see what happens when I trigger the 'ethernet reset'.