What are others using for residential customer routers?

We've tried a variety of home routers to sell in conjunction with our internet service but haven't settled on a good model that seems consistent.  What are you guys using that works well?

RIght now, I sell two. 

Ubiquiti airRouter at $35

This has been a very stable solution at a very good price. I usually get them around $35 and sell them for cost. It is only a single chain unit, but has fantastic stability. 

Cambium R200 at $50

I really want customers to use this router, so I actually sell it at a loss (when I had higher prices, many customers wanted to just buy their own). This router has been very stable, runs 2x2 MIMO WiFi, and has a built in ATA. The cnMaestro product is working toward making deployment very fast, but is not quite there yet (there are several quirks with provisioning and VoIP). I hope the major issues will be worked out soon. 

Thanks - Chris

1 Like

I tried the R200P units and we are just having too many complaints and wierd issues with them.  I really want to use them due to PoE but the wireless side of them seems to be the issue for us for whatever reason - I even flashed the firmware in all of them to try to help.  Seems like you can't just buy a 2.4Ghz router anymore with out paying over a 100 bucks for AC dual band units. which I disable the 5Ghz to not interfere with SM.  I've even thought about selling a super cheap wired router and setting up Unifi AP's for wireless in the home but that seems like a little much.  Thanks for your reply. 

@Nathan Dothager wrote:

I tried the R200P units and we are just having too many complaints and wierd issues with them.  I really want to use them due to PoE but the wireless side of them seems to be the issue for us for whatever reason... 

Interesting. I have not yet had any issues with the wireless.. but I've had tons of challenges with templates and provisioning. Right now, I manually configure each one, as I don't have time to do more troubleshooting. 

The only customer issue I've had so far is an R200 that simply failed and stopped responding (In the RMA process currently). What specific issues were you seeing? The only settings I change for the wireless are:

• Channel = 6
  • Bandwidth = 20 MHz
  • SSID = custom
  • Password = custom
  • Power = 50%

With those settings, I have not yet had any WiFi complaints. 

I would suggest looking at Mikrotik for other 2.4 GHz WiFi router options. They recently added a few options to their product line.

-Chris