What cable to use on 300ft site?

We are looking into moving our cabinet to the base of this elevator and out of the dusty environment above. Can someone point me to a few links or recommendations on what type of cable to use? Instead of running 10 seperate cat5 cables, could we use 1 or 2 25 pair shielded cables? TIA

Zach

Cool!

I’ve never tryed to run multiple Ethernet runs over a telco-50 cable before. That would be fun to try.

As far as a supplier, we get most of our telco equipment from Greybar (http://www.graybar.com/). I know they have 25 twisted-pair cable. Not sure about shielded, but it would supprise me if they don’t; Greybar has just about everything telco you could imagine.

Can’t wait to hear how this goes,
Andrew

We’d have to pay attention to the color code on both ends. for example…
…B O G B S
W1 2 3 4 5
R 6 7 8 9 10
B1112131415
Y1617181920
V2122232425

so white/blue would be pair 1.

Isn’t there a possibilty of interference within the cable itself? I’d almost prefer the 10 cables. If yo run into any problems you can isolate the single run that is having the problem without potentially bringing down the others?

Very good point. Canopy? Others?

cwingfield wrote:
Isn't there a possibilty of interference within the cable itself? I'd almost prefer the 10 cables. If yo run into any problems you can isolate the single run that is having the problem without potentially bringing down the others?

With a good twist to the pairs, cross-talk should be minimized. You do bring up valid points though.

Definately need to do the research before diving into this project.

expensive, but this company is GOOD. And this product already comes bundled.

http://www.best-tronics.com/motorola-bundle.htm

Sorry, but what do you mean by a cabinet? Like a server cabinet or some other equipment? You can put a switch at each end and run one cable. Some switches are sealed and wouldn’t be affected by dust. You’d then run out patch cables to the devices upstairs. Not sure on the elevator shaft. Is it active? Some of those put out massive RF because of the big motor(s) to run them. All depends how close you’d be to that. If that would be a problem, then you could connect the switches with a fiber patch. Fiber can’t carry RF noise and wouldn’t be affected by the motor(s).

A cabinet as in, CMM-Micro, Cisco 3550 Switch Rackmounted, APC Surge protection, APC monitorable UPS, 25-50 pair punchdown… etc.

We are most likely going to run (2) 25 pair cat 5 rated shielded cable.

Personally, I would run 10 (+2 spare) for several reasons:

1. POE. It will be hard to determine what the effect will be having 10 runs of 24V in one jacket.
2. Crosstalk - it’s going to happen unless every Cat5 is seperately shielded.
3. The seperate Cat5’s will allow you to get the jacket inside the connector for a better seal.

Plus, I don’t like puting all my egs in one basket.

Both ends of the cable will be punched down. From there there will be seperate shielded cat5e runs up to the equipment. Guess we will test this out and let you know what happens!

I’m a BICSI certificed installer. The 25+ cable is fine for voice but for data the telecommunications industry recommends that one 8 pair cable be installed for each network device being used (pc, server etc.). It’s more work but helps ensure performance. I also agree with Jerry to install an extra two and leave your pathway “fished” with a pull string to help with future runs.

we have a tower that is 250’ we pulled a cable for each ap, this has been 18 months ago. it is working fine our cmm is at the bottom of the tower in a building out of the weather. we pulled seperate cables incase of trouble it would be easier to trouble shout,

captain kirk wrote:
I'm a BICSI certificed installer. The 25+ cable is fine for voice but for data the telecommunications industry recommends that one 8 pair cable be installed for each network device being used (pc, server etc.).

You mean 4 pair?

Also, did I mention that this 25 pair cable is cat 5 rated. It did only say 10base-T. I am having my doubts.

Have U considered using media converters and using fiber optic cable?

No we haven’t… can you send me a link to where I can research these “media converters?” Using fiber would not be a problem considering I have 5,000 ft sitting in my garage.

If anybody else has any experience with this type of app please chime in. Thanks

Z

Here is one…
http://www.softchoice.com/hardware/prod_description.asp?kZB6O8hm4QHFScVSPL34dMkrdZnHkZZUW_wY1$XRKMkjgMCfuItrTbEay_Suxxt__dXBJgIGX_5Pqs2hTTvVvE
There are many other out there though.

Aaron

I got ahead of myself on this issue… If you look at the first post, the reasoning behind this topic is how to get power/timing up the tower from the “NEW” base station we are getting into. There is no way fiber would carry the power and sync up to the devices.

I would go with individual shielded Cat5’s for each radio with the CMM at the bottom. It would be a drag to go through all that work with the multi and have it be flaky…

Go with wacha know, ya know?

We are fixing to go up a 280’ tower and we are going to use double sheilded
:shock: cat 5 cable. Belden’s part number is 7921A. We are using a cmm(micro) and be using 3 900mhz ap’s. As of now on the tower we are using regular outdoor rated cat 5 but we are only on trial. I will let you know how it works.

You will also need seperate crimpers and connectors for this cable. Our’s is on order.

Here is a link: http://bwccat.belden.com/ecat/jsp/Index … =undefined