we have 10 SM’s and 2 AP’s

do i need to use VLAN ?

what is the purpose of VLAN ?

whats the advantages of VLAN ?

thanks.

http://www.horizonwisp.com
the first ISP canopy user in Mindanao
Philippines

really depends on what those SM’s are doing.

VLAN is not a motorola thing, you can get info on it from a goodle seach. However basically put its a Virtual Loacal Area Network, i.e it allows you to put different SM on differenc virtaul networks, this helps with security and traffic (broadcast) control.

At the moment your network seems too small to really have to worry about the broadcast issue, but depending on what the SM’s are for would deteremine if using a vlan would be beneficial for you.

The thing I first learned about what a VLAN was has stuck with me. VLANs are a way of “logically” separating data instead of “physically” separating it. So, if you have 10 computers in one room and 10 in another, and each one only needs to talk to one computer in the other end, you do not have to run 10 cables - just make 10 VLANs and the devices see only the data they should. The data is logically routed to where it should go and no where else - this keeps broadcast domains smaller as well. So if a broadcast storm occurs it is isolated to one VLAN.

Aaron

oh ic… i think i need to search the google first. :open_mouth:

btw, i can USE the SM even not using the VLAN ?

btw, i can USE the SM even not using the VLAN ?

Of course you can, it really all depends on your application. But the VLAN tagging/untagging is just an option.

Aaron

thanks for your help. :open_mouth:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“ircboy”]oh ic… i think i need to search the google first. :shock: