What's your Opinion on 2.4GHz APs.... LOS or Non-LOS

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the 2.4GHz APs and Cyclones…

The company I work for uses 2.4GHz cyclones, along with 5.2 and 5.7 APs… I’m asking because I’m trying to troubleshoot some 2.4 Cyclones we have in a production environment.

I am wondering the following…

1. Are you using a standard AP, or a Cyclone, or both?
2. Is it strictly LOS or does it work through trees, and if so, how many trees are you able to penetrate?
3. Do you ever have issues at 3 or 5 or more miles with LOS?

Any other thoughts about the 2.4GHz APs and Cyclones???

Much appreciated…
Tim S… Tower technician

frmr96 wrote:
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the 2.4GHz APs and Cyclones...

The company I work for uses 2.4GHz cyclones, along with 5.2 and 5.7 APs... I'm asking because I'm trying to troubleshoot some 2.4 Cyclones we have in a production environment.

I am wondering the following...

1. Are you using a standard AP, or a Cyclone, or both?
2. Is it strictly LOS or does it work through trees, and if so, how many trees are you able to penetrate?
3. Do you ever have issues at 3 or 5 or more miles with LOS?

Any other thoughts about the 2.4GHz APs and Cyclones???

Much appreciated...
Tim S.... Tower technician

we use 2.4 pigtailed AP's... or farthest link so far is 20 miles, with 100% up and down. hyperlink has a "pro" 15dBi 2.4 omni antenna that works really well, but you have to trim the power a bit to stay legal. we've been able to do NLOS links through minor foliage, but rain sometimes creates a problem.
reflectors add quite a bit of stability to NLOS links.

NLOS is okay. We do it all the time. 2.4 will blast through most trees except Austrailian pines. I have never had much luck getting through those.
Using the old RSSI numbers look for 1300+ to stay solid. Trees can be a hazard, especially after lots of rain. The trees tend to hold the water and kill the signal.

We currently use cyclones and AP, we have had lots of luck getting through the trees. Pine trees are the worst. We look for a dbm level of around -70 -74 if going through trees. that way if it does rain the signal will still be somewhat stable.