Wi-Fi on Oil and Gas Platform

As you know Oil and Gas have metal base. Does it effect Wi-Fi coverage and connectivity?? Example of the area...

1 Like

Hi 

Yes, WiFi coverage will be effected as metal base has higher signal attenuation. 

Best Regrads,

Gupta Bobby

Yes i know that. How to do the solution if it this kinda of place.

1. Placement of AP

2. How many AP 

and etc. 

You can perform a predictive site survey using applications like Ekahau, iBwave, airmagent etc. Choose Cambium Access Point model(Antenna coverage Pattern) based on your requirement which you would like to deploy. Using these applications you can play around with the AP placements and number of APs to see the coverage pattern which suits best for your deployment.

If it were me I would do a physical site survey, these environments can be difficult to model due to the large amount of metal, which can do strange things to the RF!

I would first clearly define what areas need to be covered, once that has been done you can start to plan your desgin.

Make use of directional antennas (E501S and E502S) to help manage the RF in the environment. You'll want to limit the amount of RF being reflected into unwanted areas causing co-channel interference.

To help avoid co-channel interference I would also limit channel widths to 20MHz.

1 Like

Hello,

I think there are stict law for this king of place.

I faced some bilding with atex rules.

Does cambium have APs with some atex certifications?

@carabina5 wrote:

Hello,

I think there are stict law for this king of place.

I faced some bilding with atex rules.

Does cambium have APs with some atex certifications?

Cambium has some certified ATEX/HAZLOC products (PMP450i, PTP670, etc), but nothing in their WiFi portfolio to my knowledge.