Will Flexible Frame Mode Have Improved Latency Too?

I understand frame sizes for sync are planned to be reduced from 5ms to 2.5ms to improve latency when using sync.

Are there also changes planned for flexible frame mode that will reduce its latency?

Thanks - Chris

Flexible Frame Mode already has the second lowest latency, following enhanced PTP mode.... however neither mode supports GPS sync ATM. While 2.5ms frames will reduce latency, it does sacrifice  some throughput and possibly might introduce some other trade off's. If I had to guess, Cambium will initially be working on 2.5ms in GPS sync'd modes... and only in standard PtP mode and fixed ratio PtMP modes. By focusing on those two modes, it would pave the way for sync with PTP/PMP100, and possibly even PTP/PMP450 radios. Sure would be nice though to have our cake and eat it too... e.g. a firmware build that can do 2.5ms frames, enhancedPtP latency, GPS sync, AND 5GHz DFS channel support all in one mode :-)

Did that answer your question?

Eric, I have many situations that need PtMP and do not require GPS sync.

As a result, I'm actually wondering whether there are planned improvements specifically for the Flexible Frame Mode. So far, I've only heard about improvements for the other modes of operation.

Thanks - Chris

@uberdome wrote:

Eric, I have many situations that need PtMP and do not require GPS sync.

As a result, I'm actually wondering whether there are planned improvements specifically for the Flexible Frame Mode. So far, I've only heard about improvements for the other modes of operation.

Thanks - Chris

Hello,

We have some ideas on how to reduce latency on flexible but we have not seen overwhelming asks for this yet. We will look into making some improvements where latency in flexible is positively affected. Unfortunately, timing for something like this won't be till late 2015. In the meantime, in large systems (50~60 STAs and up) there will be improvements coming for overall TCP performance and latency beyond what we do today.

Sakid