Will PTP 550 reconnect after extended break?

I have a situation where I need to bridge two networks. One on shore and one on a ship that will be only about 100m away. My issue is that the ship will leave for a few days at a time. When it returns, and antennae align, will the network reconnect automatically, or will manual intervention be necessary?

Assuming the following are true...

1. The radios were preconfigured and tested and when the boat comes within range there's a good enough signal

and

2. If you're using multiple internet connections on the boat, like a satellite or cellular internet, the router is intelligent enough to re-route traffic once the PTP550 link comes up (Peplink routers can do this for instance).

Then YES! Should work fine.

Hi Jerry,

You could also consider using Omni Antenna for both Master and Slave , since the distance is 100 m . This should provide more flexibilty w.r.t alignment

Thanks

Sagar

1 Like

@sagargdeshpande wrote:

Hi Jerry,

You could also consider using Omni Antenna for both Master and Slave , since the distance is 100 m . This should provide more flexibilty w.r.t alignment

Thanks

Sagar

I was thinking a similar thing. I was actually thinking I'd do a sector on the land side (Pier / Dock) of the link, and then an Omni on the ship.  At a few 100's of meters, you should have no problem pulling up and getting reconnected, regardless of orientation or alignment, with an Omni on the ship.

1 Like

Yep, sorry I didn't identify my antenna plans, but sector on shore, omni on the ship. I just need to make sure that, once the ship returns, that we don't have a situation where someone has to login to the devices and clear error conditions, reset ports, etc...

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

-Jerry

1 Like