WISP

Hi,

I come from Quebec and I want to offer Internet to the communities which are not served by the traditional suppliers (cable, DSL). There is a good potential in my area.

According to what I read on Motorola Canopy, this system seems perfectly adapted so that I want to make. The territory which I intend to serve made approximately 60 miles by 60 miles. It’s a rough and mountainous ground.

According to what I understood of the system, a subscriber could easily connect itself to the access point (AP) within 10 miles with a SM and a reflector in as much is in Line Of Sight (LOS) with the AP.

I could thus install 4 AP to serve this territory. Therefore, with my AP to a line 100 BaseT, I can connect a maximum of 1200 subscribers to Internet high speed who them are equipped d’un SM and d’un reflector (if needed).

Am I understood well the system where I miss a part which I entirely not understood. Thank you for all your comments.

A green in this field.

(Excuse my english :oops: )

Richard,
60 miles by 60 miles of rough mountainous ground will be a challenge but it is able to be done, we have many customers in similar scenarios. You need to take into consideration the Fresnel zone. (Think of the Fresnel Zone as a football shaped RF field which the signal populates) Obviously the top part of the zone is going to be less of a concern than the bottom. You might see a clear line of site from radio to radio but the bottom half of the Fresnel zone may have trees or buildings in the way.

You will need to do some surveys from where you plan to mount your AP’s to and from probable customer locations. For the size of territory you are describing I would say that you will need more than 4 AP’s. The AP’s have a 60 degree beam width so in order to “hit” customers around your tower you would need 6 AP’s (at 60 degrees each) to make up a 360 degree sector.

If you have rough and mountain like terrain then 900 MHz might be a good fit for the far/tough to reach customers.

900 MHz has external antennas so there isn’t a need for reflectors. 2.4 GHz and 5.7 GHz are able to utilize the reflectors. Using reflectors on 5.2 radios is not allowed since it exceeds power levels identified by the FCC.