CBRS eLearning: looking for your input....

As Cambium Networks is working on the development of an online CBRS course,  I would like to hear from WISPs about what they feel is needed in the content in the course? Specifics on the processes, scenarios, definitions, videos? I am looking to ensure this course provides the info most WISPs are looking for.

Bradley Schubert

Multimedia Instructional Designer

Cambium Networks  

The on site course was exactly right. Most of us know the general concepts by now, we wanted the meat and potatos, that what it offered. 

Definining the current timelines (N expirations, incumbant expirations, SAS iteration timelines and their respective capabiities)

Specifics on county line license modelling

Allocations and SAS alterations (what we can expect when a new player enters the field)

Stressing the importance of the accuracy parameters in SAS (and the benefits of initially being  a little loose ie CBSD SM preauthorizations)

What to expect for deployment timelines (CBSD BS authorization, CBSD SM authorization/alteration/approval) and mechanisms to make these time lines more cost effective/efficient. a little more detail on the specifics of the CPAS operations (how to minimize further wait times)

Keeping the heartbeat alive, mitigating network performance issues

Toolsets available for SAS state visibility in real time (SAS Administrator feature sets?)

Snitching - How does an honest operator mitigate the impact of the less than honest operator. N had zero recourse aside from "Tell Rick Harnish"

Will there be a process to contest SAS discrepancies?

Most of us will want to know what happens in specific scenarios, particularly at county lines. That in itself could generate an entire course

1 Like

Good Afternoon, 

My name is Jeremiah Terry, and Account Manager at Streakwave Wireless. As you may already know we are a Cambium distributor. 

I am curious if you have any training and/or development on the following. As I have had a customer ask about this. 

Private LTE Small Cells CBSD

Element Management System/Server (EMS)

Enhanced Packet Core (EPC) Cloud or On-Premise options

Spectrum Allocation Server (SAS)

Private LTE APs User Equipment (UE)

Private LTE SIM Cards

1 Like

Jeremiah,

As of this response Cambium doesnt have any trainings that are focused on those topics. All 6 topics would most likely be webinars rather than eLearning courses becasue of the techincal questions and feedback needed for the users to get their questions answered. I will forward your input to Matt and Dave and see what they think as well as hosting at least a few of these topics. 

Bradley Schubert 

Multimedia Instructional Designer

Cambium Networks

I've so far been unable to discern how we, as an incumbent FCC-registered wireless provider using legacy PMP320 gear in the 3650-3700 Part90 chunk are actually protected:  What do we do if we see interfering signals?  Will the SAS, assuming it prevents others from interfering (for now) on the channels we've been using for years, also prevent OUR new CBRS-compliant gear from using the channels we've already got in play, or will it recognize that we are a legacy and allow us to use those channels when migrating to the new tech?

I've seen lots of info on what the CBRS scheme is, but nothing so far on what will actually happen in the real world for us as an incumbent WISP in this band.  We still have 600+ customers on PMP320 gear, this is very important for us.

j

Actually, you will need to quit transmitting sometime next year on gear not CBRS certified. The grandfather time on your gear will soon run out and will it need to be replaced unless the PMP320 is getting the certification for CBRS. I think last I heard it was sometime in April 2020, but I believe WISPA is also working to try and get that date pushed back.

@newkirk wrote:

I've seen lots of info on what the CBRS scheme is, but nothing so far on what will actually happen in the real world for us as an incumbent WISP in this band.  We still have 600+ customers on PMP320 gear, this is very important for us.

j

Woah... you better start getting those swapped ASAP!! PMP320 is not going to be supported by CBRS, and even assuming that you jumped through all of the hoops a few years ago to get grandfather status, you'll still have to remove all this equipment by April 2020.

From the FCC:

"In order to receive grandfathered protection, incumbent licensees were required to file supplemental information regarding their registered stations see Public Notice.  The WTB configured a cloud based platform to facilitate the collection of that information which was launched for a four month window ending August 7, 2017.   The window for filing the supplemental information is closed.   Licensees in the 3650-3700 MHz who did not meet this deadline may continue to operate, but will not be afforded protection from interference caused by new CBRS operations.   Grandfathered registered sites are afforded protection until April 17, 2020."

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

@newkirk wrote:

j

Woah... you better start getting those swapped ASAP!! PMP320 is not going to be supported by CBRS, and even assuming that you jumped through all of the hoops a few years ago to get grandfather status, you'll still have to remove all this equipment by April 2020.

From the FCC:

"In order to receive grandfathered protection, incumbent licensees were required to file supplemental information regarding their registered stations see Public Notice.  The WTB configured a cloud based platform to facilitate the collection of that information which was launched for a four month window ending August 7, 2017.   The window for filing the supplemental information is closed.   Licensees in the 3650-3700 MHz who did not meet this deadline may continue to operate, but will not be afforded protection from interference caused by new CBRS operations.   Grandfathered registered sites are afforded protection until April 17, 2020."

Thanks.  Per the FCC license documentation we have, we are supposed to be good until April 2021 for 3650-3700 within our registered footprint.  We have our frequency coordinator re-confirming that with the FCC now.

j