Elevate XM subs with Short GI

Hello,

On some legacy AP's we have uploaded the latest 4.4-RC30 and under Guard Interval, it says that Elevate XM sm's will only work with Long GI.

Will this be changed in the future to support Short GI for Elevate XM SM's or not? I just need to know if we need to upgrade the hardware or if it will be supported in the future?

Thanks

1 Like

I have forwarded this to our support and development teams.

I have some related questions...

If some APs are on short gaurd interval, and some long, will that cause sync issues, or any other problems I should be aware of?

Is there actually any significant performance difference between the two?

@Mathew Howard wrote:

If some APs are on short gaurd interval, and some long, will that cause sync issues, or any other problems I should be aware of?

No, it won't cause sync issues.

There's a slight performance boost using short GI (around 10%), but I haven't seen anyone publish a comparison yet.

@dcshobby wrote:

Hello,

On some legacy AP's we have uploaded the latest 4.4-RC30 and under Guard Interval, it says that Elevate XM sm's will only work with Long GI.

Will this be changed in the future to support Short GI for Elevate XM SM's or not? I just need to know if we need to upgrade the hardware or if it will be supported in the future?

Thanks

XM will never support short GI using a 20MHz channel width. It will however support it in a 40MHz channel width.

XW will support short GI in all supported channel widths.

These are hardware limitations.

3 Likes

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

@Mathew Howard wrote:

No, it won't cause sync issues.

There's a slight performance boost using short GI (around 10%), but I haven't seen anyone publish a comparison yet.

So the obvious solution is just run any APs that have XM radios connection on long GI and use short on everything else... then when the XM radios eventually all go away (as XM radios eventually do, whether you want to replace them or not), switch to short GI. Not really a big issue, as far as I'm concerned.

1 Like