Enabling Maestro alarms to actually SMS or Email alarms?

Events act as a log of messages for a device.

Alarms are objects that represent a device state.   Alarms are driven by events.

When the device is in an error state an alarm activates.  Once the device leaves the error state, the alarm clears.  If the device goes back into the error state within 10 minutes of clearing the alarm, the same alarm is activated since the error was not truely fixed.

Some events have cooresponding alarms.  All alarms have cooresponding events.

i guess i understand that...but why does the exact same event (same test over and over) sometimes have an alarm and sometimes not?

more to the point of our problem.....how  do i fix cnmaestro's email service?  we are not getting ANY email notifications.  We did for a little bit, but no more.

That depends on the type of event.  For example, Status Up/Down events don't activate an alarm until the device is offline for 5 minutes.  This is to prevent false positives if a device only briefly disconnects from cnMaestro.

Alarms are also based on event severify.  Minor, major and critical severity activate an alarm and Notify will clear the alarm.

What event are your triggering to test?

I have forwarded your post to one of our engineers more familiar with the email service to look into this specfic issue.

do the email alerts only send for alarms?  or events also?

i have shut down the switch port going to an AP to force it "offline" and left it that way for quite a while...never got an email....

We solved it…

cnMaestro doesn’t like Microsoft Teams email addresses. They are a bit funky and long, and even tho it will successfully send a test email to the address, it will not send ANY notifications while that email address is one of the recipients. Not even to the regular email address recipient also configured.

Jordan, I have an issue... Since I've setted up notifications to my email everything has been working ok, but today i have received a call from a client reporting me a SM down and i said "I havent received any notification" but when i log in to my account i have found that is down.. but there is not any alert.

The alert attahced is an old alert from Feb 25 but as you can see on the images there is not actual alert.

I havent received any email

Force 200 SM

NetBrowser, are there any cooresponding events for the device going offline?  Events drive alarms so I'm trying to get an idea of where things broke down.

Hello Jordan, there is an event in SM and in AP. in history no and there is no Alarm.

Hello NetBrowser,

Thanks for the screenshots.  One of those was offline for a second or two, which would not trigger an alarm.  The other had the SM down for over 5 minutes which triggers the alarm in your "events-history-SM" screenshot.  This was cleared when the SM came back online.  Does this inactive alarm line up with when the SM was actually down?

cnMaestro will mark a device as offline after several ping/pong messages are lost in a row.  An offline event should immediately be logged then.  Only after 5 minutes of the device being down will an Offline Alarm activate.  The alarm then drives the email notification.

Are you recieving any email notifications successfully?

Hi dougmiller,

We were able to receive email alerts for our Microsoft Teams Emails. Please find the below screenshot.

Can you please share me the screen shot of you Email settings page in cnMaestro.

Thanks

Ragahvendra

1 Like

Just saw your message. Looks like yours sent from a gmail account?

Ill see if I can get you a screen shot, but there isn’t much to show. I can only enter two email addresses, and one was the teams email. I even copied it out of there and sent a test email just to make sure it was a legit email and it is.

Yes dougmiller. I took help of Gmail SMTP server to send E-Mail alerts for the subscribers.

Can you elaborate on the gmail smtp server setup? Did the email originate in cnMaestro? When we checked with our server team, they never even saw an email from cnMaestro for them to forward.

My reply disappeared. Apologies if this is duplicate.

Our smtp relay server never even saw an email from cnMaestro to forward when sending to Teams.

Did your email source from cnMaestro?